Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Dec, 2024 10:55 AM
  • Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Immigration measures announced as part of Canada's border response to president-elect Donald Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat are starting to be implemented, beginning with a ban on what's known as "flagpoling."

This is when someone who was in Canada on a temporary visa leaves for the U.S. then quickly re-enters Canada to access immigration services at a port of entry. 

The restriction on providing work and study permits to flagpolers takes effect today.

Last week, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said that going forward temporary visa holders will have to apply online to extend their stay in Canada. 

The Canadian Border Services Agency processed more than 69,300 people who engaged in flagpoling in the 2023-2024 fiscal year. 

There are still rare exceptions where a person will be granted a work or study permit even though they meet the definition of flagpoling, including international truck drivers with a work permit, professionals under certain free trade agreements and American citizens.

Miller first announced the plan to ban the practice on Dec. 17, alongside Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc who promised a border control package worth $1.3 billion. 

This includes removing the point value for having a job offer in Canada's express entry immigration system. The stated goal of this change is to reduce and prevent immigration fraud. 

In a social media post, Miller said this will take effect in the spring and that it will be a temporary measure. 

A broader review of the express entry program is being conducted, and a future decision on the value of a job offer in that system will be made at that time. 

A labour market impact assessment, a key document required for an employer to hire a foreign worker, is currently worth 50 to 200 points in the express entry system. 

Applicants are not supposed to pay for these, but a black market has emerged where people are charging tens of thousands of dollars for these documents. 

Applications that are already in progress won't be affected once this change takes effect. 

Miller also said the government is looking at ways to streamline Canada's asylum system at that Dec. 17 press conference. This includes exploring options to "quickly deal with" illegitimate claims. 

The government's broader border measures plan to respond to Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat also includes enhanced aerial surveillance and drug detection efforts.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. should explore non-prescribed alternatives to fentanyl to combat crisis: Henry

B.C. should explore non-prescribed alternatives to fentanyl to combat crisis: Henry
Dr. Bonnie Henry says in her latest report on the overdose crisis that efforts centred on drug prohibition have not only failed to control access to controlled substances but have also created the toxic unregulated drug supply that has killed thousands since a health emergency was declared eight years ago. 

B.C. should explore non-prescribed alternatives to fentanyl to combat crisis: Henry

Trudeau says Canada expects to hit NATO defence spending target in 2032

Trudeau says Canada expects to hit NATO defence spending target in 2032
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Canada expects to hit the NATO defence spending target in 2032. The 32 members of the alliance agreed last year to spend at least the equivalent of two per cent of national gross domestic product on defence. 

Trudeau says Canada expects to hit NATO defence spending target in 2032

Province to reduce harms of overdose crisis

Province to reduce harms of overdose crisis
The steering committee was formed in late May with the goal of having overdose prevention and response actions in place on B-C campuses for this year's fall semester.

Province to reduce harms of overdose crisis

Cyclist in hospital

Cyclist in hospital
Police in Vancouver are looking for witnesses after a 53-year-old cyclist was taken to hospital with serious injuries after a collision with a vehicle. They say the biker was struck on East 10th Avenue Clark Drive intersection around 6 a-m yesterday. 

Cyclist in hospital

B.C. heat triggers burst of fire activity, new evacuation order in central Interior

B.C. heat triggers burst of fire activity, new evacuation order in central Interior
The latest spans a portion of the District of Wells, about 80 kilometres east of Quesnel in the province's central Interior, where the BC Wildfire Service map shows a cluster of more than two dozen new fires in the area.

B.C. heat triggers burst of fire activity, new evacuation order in central Interior

Police say speed, intoxication contributed to crash that killed 3 in southeast B.C.

Police say speed, intoxication contributed to crash that killed 3 in southeast B.C.
Police say the car left the road and crashed down an embankment. The Mounties say the three passengers were pronounced dead at the scene, while the driver was taken to hospital with serious but not life-threatening injuries.

Police say speed, intoxication contributed to crash that killed 3 in southeast B.C.