Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Dec, 2024 10:55 AM
  • Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Immigration measures announced as part of Canada's border response to president-elect Donald Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat are starting to be implemented, beginning with a ban on what's known as "flagpoling."

This is when someone who was in Canada on a temporary visa leaves for the U.S. then quickly re-enters Canada to access immigration services at a port of entry. 

The restriction on providing work and study permits to flagpolers takes effect today.

Last week, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said that going forward temporary visa holders will have to apply online to extend their stay in Canada. 

The Canadian Border Services Agency processed more than 69,300 people who engaged in flagpoling in the 2023-2024 fiscal year. 

There are still rare exceptions where a person will be granted a work or study permit even though they meet the definition of flagpoling, including international truck drivers with a work permit, professionals under certain free trade agreements and American citizens.

Miller first announced the plan to ban the practice on Dec. 17, alongside Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc who promised a border control package worth $1.3 billion. 

This includes removing the point value for having a job offer in Canada's express entry immigration system. The stated goal of this change is to reduce and prevent immigration fraud. 

In a social media post, Miller said this will take effect in the spring and that it will be a temporary measure. 

A broader review of the express entry program is being conducted, and a future decision on the value of a job offer in that system will be made at that time. 

A labour market impact assessment, a key document required for an employer to hire a foreign worker, is currently worth 50 to 200 points in the express entry system. 

Applicants are not supposed to pay for these, but a black market has emerged where people are charging tens of thousands of dollars for these documents. 

Applications that are already in progress won't be affected once this change takes effect. 

Miller also said the government is looking at ways to streamline Canada's asylum system at that Dec. 17 press conference. This includes exploring options to "quickly deal with" illegitimate claims. 

The government's broader border measures plan to respond to Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat also includes enhanced aerial surveillance and drug detection efforts.

MORE National ARTICLES

Pro-Palestinian protesters dismantle UBC camp

Pro-Palestinian protesters dismantle UBC camp
A pro-Palestinian protest camp that had occupied a sports field at the University of British Columbia's Vancouver campus for more than two months has been dismantled by the demonstrators. Dozens of tents had been removed by Monday, although barricades and fencing around the site remain in place.

Pro-Palestinian protesters dismantle UBC camp

Man charged in weapons trafficking

Man charged in weapons trafficking
The Canada Border Services Agency says a man has been charged with one count each of weapons trafficking and possession of a prohibited firearm after an investigation that began in December 2022.

Man charged in weapons trafficking

Air quality advisory issued for Metro Vancouver

Air quality advisory issued for Metro Vancouver
The Metro Vancouver regional district has issued an air quality advisory as hot, sunny weather mixes with emissions to create ground-level ozone, or smog. The advisory spans Metro Vancouver and parts of the Fraser Valley.

Air quality advisory issued for Metro Vancouver

Surrey man arrested in carjacking

Surrey man arrested in carjacking
R-C-M-P say a woman called Friday afternoon to report that a man had assaulted her and taken her vehicle, which was then involved in a three-vehicle crash.

Surrey man arrested in carjacking

Three bodies recovered from B.C. park where mountaineers went missing

Three bodies recovered from B.C. park where mountaineers went missing
Mounties in Squamish say three bodies have been recovered from the area of Garibaldi Provincial Park where three mountaineers went missing last month.

Three bodies recovered from B.C. park where mountaineers went missing

Joly meets with new British counterpart after political sea change in the U.K.

Joly meets with new British counterpart after political sea change in the U.K.
She is the first foreign minister to be invited to meet with David Lammy in London since his recent appointment as U.K. secretary of state for foreign, Commonwealth and development affairs.

Joly meets with new British counterpart after political sea change in the U.K.