Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Dec, 2024 10:55 AM
  • Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Immigration measures announced as part of Canada's border response to president-elect Donald Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat are starting to be implemented, beginning with a ban on what's known as "flagpoling."

This is when someone who was in Canada on a temporary visa leaves for the U.S. then quickly re-enters Canada to access immigration services at a port of entry. 

The restriction on providing work and study permits to flagpolers takes effect today.

Last week, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said that going forward temporary visa holders will have to apply online to extend their stay in Canada. 

The Canadian Border Services Agency processed more than 69,300 people who engaged in flagpoling in the 2023-2024 fiscal year. 

There are still rare exceptions where a person will be granted a work or study permit even though they meet the definition of flagpoling, including international truck drivers with a work permit, professionals under certain free trade agreements and American citizens.

Miller first announced the plan to ban the practice on Dec. 17, alongside Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc who promised a border control package worth $1.3 billion. 

This includes removing the point value for having a job offer in Canada's express entry immigration system. The stated goal of this change is to reduce and prevent immigration fraud. 

In a social media post, Miller said this will take effect in the spring and that it will be a temporary measure. 

A broader review of the express entry program is being conducted, and a future decision on the value of a job offer in that system will be made at that time. 

A labour market impact assessment, a key document required for an employer to hire a foreign worker, is currently worth 50 to 200 points in the express entry system. 

Applicants are not supposed to pay for these, but a black market has emerged where people are charging tens of thousands of dollars for these documents. 

Applications that are already in progress won't be affected once this change takes effect. 

Miller also said the government is looking at ways to streamline Canada's asylum system at that Dec. 17 press conference. This includes exploring options to "quickly deal with" illegitimate claims. 

The government's broader border measures plan to respond to Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat also includes enhanced aerial surveillance and drug detection efforts.

MORE National ARTICLES

Fatal crash in Vancouver

Fatal crash in Vancouver
Police in Vancouver say a 27-year-old man is dead after he was struck by a car while riding his motorcycle yesterday. They say the motorcyclist was riding south on Arbutus Street toward West 21st Avenue just before 9:30 p-m when he collided with a grey Honda C-R-V.

Fatal crash in Vancouver

Early morning shooting in Newton

Early morning shooting in Newton
Police in Surrey say one man has been taken to hospital with serious injuries after an early morning shooting in the Newton area. R-C-M-P say officers got the call at around 5:30 a-m about a man suffering from a gunshot wound in a parking lot on 122nd Street near 72nd Avenue.

Early morning shooting in Newton

Vancouver Island to see $3B in BC Hydro upgrades, expansion over the next decade

Vancouver Island to see $3B in BC Hydro upgrades, expansion over the next decade
Energy Minister Josie Osborne says the BC Hydro projects will create thousands of jobs over the next decade and ensure the region has enough clean, affordable and reliable electricity to power homes, businesses and the economy.

Vancouver Island to see $3B in BC Hydro upgrades, expansion over the next decade

Foreign streaming services challenge requirement to pay into fund for Canadian news

Foreign streaming services challenge requirement to pay into fund for Canadian news
The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission said in June that foreign streamers must contribute five per cent of their annual Canadian revenues into a fund devoted to producing Canadian content, including local TV and radio news, as well as Indigenous and French-language content.

Foreign streaming services challenge requirement to pay into fund for Canadian news

Canadian unemployment rate rose to 6.4% in June as jobs market stalls

Canadian unemployment rate rose to 6.4% in June as jobs market stalls
Statistics Canada said Friday the unemployment rate came in at 6.4 per cent for the month, up from 6.2 per cent in May, as the size of the labour force grew. The June result was the highest reading for the unemployment rate since January 2022 when it was 6.5 per cent.

Canadian unemployment rate rose to 6.4% in June as jobs market stalls

Canada's global reputation suffering under Trudeau, Garneau asserts in autobiography

Canada's global reputation suffering under Trudeau, Garneau asserts in autobiography
Former foreign affairs minister Marc Garneau says Canada has lost its standing in the world under the tenure of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, whom he criticizes as an ill-prepared leader who prioritizes politics and makes big pronouncements without any follow-through.

Canada's global reputation suffering under Trudeau, Garneau asserts in autobiography