Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Dec, 2024 10:55 AM
  • Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Immigration measures announced as part of Canada's border response to president-elect Donald Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat are starting to be implemented, beginning with a ban on what's known as "flagpoling."

This is when someone who was in Canada on a temporary visa leaves for the U.S. then quickly re-enters Canada to access immigration services at a port of entry. 

The restriction on providing work and study permits to flagpolers takes effect today.

Last week, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said that going forward temporary visa holders will have to apply online to extend their stay in Canada. 

The Canadian Border Services Agency processed more than 69,300 people who engaged in flagpoling in the 2023-2024 fiscal year. 

There are still rare exceptions where a person will be granted a work or study permit even though they meet the definition of flagpoling, including international truck drivers with a work permit, professionals under certain free trade agreements and American citizens.

Miller first announced the plan to ban the practice on Dec. 17, alongside Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc who promised a border control package worth $1.3 billion. 

This includes removing the point value for having a job offer in Canada's express entry immigration system. The stated goal of this change is to reduce and prevent immigration fraud. 

In a social media post, Miller said this will take effect in the spring and that it will be a temporary measure. 

A broader review of the express entry program is being conducted, and a future decision on the value of a job offer in that system will be made at that time. 

A labour market impact assessment, a key document required for an employer to hire a foreign worker, is currently worth 50 to 200 points in the express entry system. 

Applicants are not supposed to pay for these, but a black market has emerged where people are charging tens of thousands of dollars for these documents. 

Applications that are already in progress won't be affected once this change takes effect. 

Miller also said the government is looking at ways to streamline Canada's asylum system at that Dec. 17 press conference. This includes exploring options to "quickly deal with" illegitimate claims. 

The government's broader border measures plan to respond to Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat also includes enhanced aerial surveillance and drug detection efforts.

MORE National ARTICLES

Warnings expand as heat wave settles over B.C., with weekend temperatures set to rise

Warnings expand as heat wave settles over B.C., with weekend temperatures set to rise
The agency has expanded a series of heat warnings to include the Sunshine Coast and Howe Sound, where daytime highs are forecast to reach 32 C. The hottest temperatures are expected to start hitting the province Sunday.

Warnings expand as heat wave settles over B.C., with weekend temperatures set to rise

First GST/HST credit payment set for July 5

First GST/HST credit payment set for July 5
The Canada Revenue Agency says single Canadians could get up to $519 over the course of the four payments, while those who are married or have a common-law partner could get up to $680. 

First GST/HST credit payment set for July 5

New poll on PM's future

New poll on PM's future
A Leger poll, conducted online of 1,521 people between June 28 and June 30, found two-thirds of those who responded believe Trudeau will remain as party leader all the way to the next election.

New poll on PM's future

Sudden death of a man in Vancouver

Sudden death of a man in Vancouver
Police in Vancouver are asking for the public's help to identify two men who they say might have information about the sudden death of another man. They say the 35-year-old man was found dead in his apartment in the city's West End neighbourhood on May 30th.

Sudden death of a man in Vancouver

Targeted shooting in Kamloops

Targeted shooting in Kamloops
Kamloops R-C-M-P say a 40-year-old man known to police has suffered serious, but non-life-threatening injuries after a targeted shooting that officers believe to be gang-related. Police say it happened last night in the 170 block of Tranquille Road.

Targeted shooting in Kamloops

48 year old Inderjit Singh Sandhu sentenced to life in imprisonment for killing wife Kamaljit Sandhu

48 year old Inderjit Singh Sandhu sentenced to life in imprisonment for killing wife Kamaljit Sandhu
Police say a 48-year-old Abbotsford man has been sentenced to life in prison without parole eligibility for 13 years for murdering his wife. Inderjit Singh Sandhu pleaded guilty in April to second-degree murder in connection with the July 2022 homicide in the Fraser Valley city.

48 year old Inderjit Singh Sandhu sentenced to life in imprisonment for killing wife Kamaljit Sandhu