Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Dec, 2024 10:55 AM
  • Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Immigration measures announced as part of Canada's border response to president-elect Donald Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat are starting to be implemented, beginning with a ban on what's known as "flagpoling."

This is when someone who was in Canada on a temporary visa leaves for the U.S. then quickly re-enters Canada to access immigration services at a port of entry. 

The restriction on providing work and study permits to flagpolers takes effect today.

Last week, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said that going forward temporary visa holders will have to apply online to extend their stay in Canada. 

The Canadian Border Services Agency processed more than 69,300 people who engaged in flagpoling in the 2023-2024 fiscal year. 

There are still rare exceptions where a person will be granted a work or study permit even though they meet the definition of flagpoling, including international truck drivers with a work permit, professionals under certain free trade agreements and American citizens.

Miller first announced the plan to ban the practice on Dec. 17, alongside Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc who promised a border control package worth $1.3 billion. 

This includes removing the point value for having a job offer in Canada's express entry immigration system. The stated goal of this change is to reduce and prevent immigration fraud. 

In a social media post, Miller said this will take effect in the spring and that it will be a temporary measure. 

A broader review of the express entry program is being conducted, and a future decision on the value of a job offer in that system will be made at that time. 

A labour market impact assessment, a key document required for an employer to hire a foreign worker, is currently worth 50 to 200 points in the express entry system. 

Applicants are not supposed to pay for these, but a black market has emerged where people are charging tens of thousands of dollars for these documents. 

Applications that are already in progress won't be affected once this change takes effect. 

Miller also said the government is looking at ways to streamline Canada's asylum system at that Dec. 17 press conference. This includes exploring options to "quickly deal with" illegitimate claims. 

The government's broader border measures plan to respond to Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat also includes enhanced aerial surveillance and drug detection efforts.

MORE National ARTICLES

Four dead after crash involving semi-trailer carrying timber in B.C.'s West Kootenays

Four dead after crash involving semi-trailer carrying timber in B.C.'s West Kootenays
Mounties in British Columbia's West Kootenay region say four people are dead after a crash that closed a stretch of Highway 6 for 11 hours. Slocan Lake RCMP say it happened south of Nakusp at about 5:50 p.m. on Friday, when a passenger truck crossed the centre line while a semi-trailer was approaching in the oncoming lane.

Four dead after crash involving semi-trailer carrying timber in B.C.'s West Kootenays

Merritt hospital emergency room closes for 48 hours amid doctor shortage

Merritt hospital emergency room closes for 48 hours amid doctor shortage
A doctor shortage has forced a temporary closure at the Nicola Valley Hospital in Merritt. Interior Health says emergency care at the hospital will be closed for 48 hours.

Merritt hospital emergency room closes for 48 hours amid doctor shortage

IHIT investigating 'suspicious death' of 45-year-old man in Hope

IHIT investigating 'suspicious death' of 45-year-old man in Hope
British Columbia's Integrated Homicide Investigation Team has been deployed after a "suspicious death" in Hope. It says Mounties responded to a police report of a dead person on Friday and arrived to find the body of a 46-year-old man, who appeared to be the victim of a homicide.

IHIT investigating 'suspicious death' of 45-year-old man in Hope

B.C. heat records tumble, Environment Canada to provide update on heat wave

B.C. heat records tumble, Environment Canada to provide update on heat wave
A summary from Environment Canada shows 22 daily high temperature records fell across the province on Sunday, including one that had stood for almost 120 years.

B.C. heat records tumble, Environment Canada to provide update on heat wave

Stranger punched in the face in unprovoked attack

Stranger punched in the face in unprovoked attack
R-C-M-P say the victim was punched in the face and suffered minor injuries in the alleged attack that occurred at around noon along Number 3 Road, across from the C-F Richmond Centre.

Stranger punched in the face in unprovoked attack

Downtown Eastside social housing project expands to four lots, with health services

Downtown Eastside social housing project expands to four lots, with health services
B.C. Housing Minister Ravi Kahlon says the proposed development at the 300-block of East Hastings Street at the former site of a Buddhist temple will be expanded after a donation of adjacent land from the charitable 625 Powell Street Foundation.

Downtown Eastside social housing project expands to four lots, with health services