Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Dec, 2024 10:55 AM
  • Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Immigration measures announced as part of Canada's border response to president-elect Donald Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat are starting to be implemented, beginning with a ban on what's known as "flagpoling."

This is when someone who was in Canada on a temporary visa leaves for the U.S. then quickly re-enters Canada to access immigration services at a port of entry. 

The restriction on providing work and study permits to flagpolers takes effect today.

Last week, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said that going forward temporary visa holders will have to apply online to extend their stay in Canada. 

The Canadian Border Services Agency processed more than 69,300 people who engaged in flagpoling in the 2023-2024 fiscal year. 

There are still rare exceptions where a person will be granted a work or study permit even though they meet the definition of flagpoling, including international truck drivers with a work permit, professionals under certain free trade agreements and American citizens.

Miller first announced the plan to ban the practice on Dec. 17, alongside Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc who promised a border control package worth $1.3 billion. 

This includes removing the point value for having a job offer in Canada's express entry immigration system. The stated goal of this change is to reduce and prevent immigration fraud. 

In a social media post, Miller said this will take effect in the spring and that it will be a temporary measure. 

A broader review of the express entry program is being conducted, and a future decision on the value of a job offer in that system will be made at that time. 

A labour market impact assessment, a key document required for an employer to hire a foreign worker, is currently worth 50 to 200 points in the express entry system. 

Applicants are not supposed to pay for these, but a black market has emerged where people are charging tens of thousands of dollars for these documents. 

Applications that are already in progress won't be affected once this change takes effect. 

Miller also said the government is looking at ways to streamline Canada's asylum system at that Dec. 17 press conference. This includes exploring options to "quickly deal with" illegitimate claims. 

The government's broader border measures plan to respond to Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat also includes enhanced aerial surveillance and drug detection efforts.

MORE National ARTICLES

Eels writhe on Vancouver airport's tarmac after escaping from Air Canada cargo box

Eels writhe on Vancouver airport's tarmac after escaping from Air Canada cargo box
Air Canada Cargo says in a statement that it was handling a shipment of eels from Toronto to Vancouver on July 7 when one container box accidentally spilled during unloading.

Eels writhe on Vancouver airport's tarmac after escaping from Air Canada cargo box

Surrey Police to replace RCMP in Fall

Surrey Police to replace RCMP in Fall
Solicitor General Mike Farnworth says the deal sees the RCMP being replaced by the independent Surrey Police Service on Nov. 29 as part of a $250-million, 10-year agreement. 

Surrey Police to replace RCMP in Fall

Canadians feeling the financial heat this summer as housing pain intensifies; few see prices for essentials falling

Canadians feeling the financial heat this summer as housing pain intensifies; few see prices for essentials falling
As the mercury rises across the country, inflation has reportedly cooled, leading many Canadians to hope that better financial days lie ahead. Those days, however, are not yet here.

Canadians feeling the financial heat this summer as housing pain intensifies; few see prices for essentials falling

Feds invest $15M in health-care AI development through Vancouver tech cluster program

Feds invest $15M in health-care AI development through Vancouver tech cluster program
Champagne says the funding will be invested through the ministry's Vancouver-based technology cluster program in five medical tech companies, creating technology that automates certain tasks to enhance care.

Feds invest $15M in health-care AI development through Vancouver tech cluster program

Active wildfires tick up in central B.C., risk of lightning coming to the north

Active wildfires tick up in central B.C., risk of lightning coming to the north
There are two wildfires of note, meaning they are either highly visible or pose a threat to public safety, located in northwestern B.C. The wildfire service's map shows a cluster of about two dozen new fires sparked in the Cariboo.

Active wildfires tick up in central B.C., risk of lightning coming to the north

Targeted shooting in Surrey

Targeted shooting in Surrey
Police say they're investigating after a man turned up at the Surrey Memorial Hospital to receive treatment for minor gunshot injuries. R-C-M-P say officers were in the middle of responding to shots-fired reports along 66 Avenue near 127 Street when the man showed up at the hospital.

Targeted shooting in Surrey