Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Dec, 2024 10:55 AM
  • Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Immigration measures announced as part of Canada's border response to president-elect Donald Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat are starting to be implemented, beginning with a ban on what's known as "flagpoling."

This is when someone who was in Canada on a temporary visa leaves for the U.S. then quickly re-enters Canada to access immigration services at a port of entry. 

The restriction on providing work and study permits to flagpolers takes effect today.

Last week, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said that going forward temporary visa holders will have to apply online to extend their stay in Canada. 

The Canadian Border Services Agency processed more than 69,300 people who engaged in flagpoling in the 2023-2024 fiscal year. 

There are still rare exceptions where a person will be granted a work or study permit even though they meet the definition of flagpoling, including international truck drivers with a work permit, professionals under certain free trade agreements and American citizens.

Miller first announced the plan to ban the practice on Dec. 17, alongside Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc who promised a border control package worth $1.3 billion. 

This includes removing the point value for having a job offer in Canada's express entry immigration system. The stated goal of this change is to reduce and prevent immigration fraud. 

In a social media post, Miller said this will take effect in the spring and that it will be a temporary measure. 

A broader review of the express entry program is being conducted, and a future decision on the value of a job offer in that system will be made at that time. 

A labour market impact assessment, a key document required for an employer to hire a foreign worker, is currently worth 50 to 200 points in the express entry system. 

Applicants are not supposed to pay for these, but a black market has emerged where people are charging tens of thousands of dollars for these documents. 

Applications that are already in progress won't be affected once this change takes effect. 

Miller also said the government is looking at ways to streamline Canada's asylum system at that Dec. 17 press conference. This includes exploring options to "quickly deal with" illegitimate claims. 

The government's broader border measures plan to respond to Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat also includes enhanced aerial surveillance and drug detection efforts.

MORE National ARTICLES

Ottawa urges Canadians to leave Lebanon while they can due to escalating violence

Ottawa urges Canadians to leave Lebanon while they can due to escalating violence
Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly is urging Canadians to leave an increasingly volatile Lebanon while they can. In a statement today, Joly says the security situation could deteriorate further without warning due to sustained and escalating violence between Hezbollah and Israel.

Ottawa urges Canadians to leave Lebanon while they can due to escalating violence

Former B.C. premier John Horgan, Canada's ambassador to Germany, has cancer again

Former B.C. premier John Horgan, Canada's ambassador to Germany, has cancer again
Former British Columbia premier and Canada's ambassador to Germany John Horgan is facing his third battle with cancer. Ravi Parmar, the New Democrat member for Horgan's former Langford-Juan de Fuca riding, says he heard from the former premier today and was told he has thyroid cancer.

Former B.C. premier John Horgan, Canada's ambassador to Germany, has cancer again

BC Wildfire crews respond to 30-hectare fire, north of Lillooet

BC Wildfire crews respond to 30-hectare fire, north of Lillooet
The British Columbia Wildfire Service says its crews are responding to a 30-hectare wildfire billowing smoke over Highway 99 north of Lillooet.  The agency says on Facebook that the Tiffen Creek wildfire is "highly visible" from the highway and from the towns of Lillooet and Pavilion. 

BC Wildfire crews respond to 30-hectare fire, north of Lillooet

1 in hospital in Kelowna stabbing

1 in hospital in Kelowna stabbing
Police say a man is in hospital in stable condition after a stabbing in Kelowna. Central Okanagan R-C-M-P say the man was found with several stab wounds near the shopping area along Springfield Road at around 3:15 yesterday afternoon.

1 in hospital in Kelowna stabbing

B.C. government says boosted BC Family Benefit cheques will arrive in July

B.C. government says boosted BC Family Benefit cheques will arrive in July
Thousands of families in British Columbia can expect to see increased financial support in their bank accounts starting by mid-July. B.C. Premier David Eby says about 340,000 families with children — 66,000 more than last year — will have access to the BC Family Benefit program after the province increased the income threshold for a family's eligibility.  

B.C. government says boosted BC Family Benefit cheques will arrive in July

Canada's population forecast to reach 63 million, as people over 85 set to triple

Canada's population forecast to reach 63 million, as people over 85 set to triple
New projections by Statistics Canada suggest the nation's population could reach 63 million by 2073, with the number of people aged 85 or older set to triple. The agency says migration will be the key driver of population increase under all scenarios, while natural growth only plays a "marginal role" as the population ages and fertility rates remain low.

Canada's population forecast to reach 63 million, as people over 85 set to triple