Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Dec, 2024 10:55 AM
  • Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Immigration measures announced as part of Canada's border response to president-elect Donald Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat are starting to be implemented, beginning with a ban on what's known as "flagpoling."

This is when someone who was in Canada on a temporary visa leaves for the U.S. then quickly re-enters Canada to access immigration services at a port of entry. 

The restriction on providing work and study permits to flagpolers takes effect today.

Last week, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said that going forward temporary visa holders will have to apply online to extend their stay in Canada. 

The Canadian Border Services Agency processed more than 69,300 people who engaged in flagpoling in the 2023-2024 fiscal year. 

There are still rare exceptions where a person will be granted a work or study permit even though they meet the definition of flagpoling, including international truck drivers with a work permit, professionals under certain free trade agreements and American citizens.

Miller first announced the plan to ban the practice on Dec. 17, alongside Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc who promised a border control package worth $1.3 billion. 

This includes removing the point value for having a job offer in Canada's express entry immigration system. The stated goal of this change is to reduce and prevent immigration fraud. 

In a social media post, Miller said this will take effect in the spring and that it will be a temporary measure. 

A broader review of the express entry program is being conducted, and a future decision on the value of a job offer in that system will be made at that time. 

A labour market impact assessment, a key document required for an employer to hire a foreign worker, is currently worth 50 to 200 points in the express entry system. 

Applicants are not supposed to pay for these, but a black market has emerged where people are charging tens of thousands of dollars for these documents. 

Applications that are already in progress won't be affected once this change takes effect. 

Miller also said the government is looking at ways to streamline Canada's asylum system at that Dec. 17 press conference. This includes exploring options to "quickly deal with" illegitimate claims. 

The government's broader border measures plan to respond to Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat also includes enhanced aerial surveillance and drug detection efforts.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. launches class-action lawsuit against makers of 'forever chemicals'

B.C. launches class-action lawsuit against makers of 'forever chemicals'
The British Columbia government says it has filed a class-action lawsuit against manufacturers of so-called "forever chemicals" involved in what it calls widespread contamination of drinking-water systems. Attorney General Niki Sharma says the province is the first Canadian jurisdiction to sue makers of perfluoroalkyl and polyfluoroalkyl substances.

B.C. launches class-action lawsuit against makers of 'forever chemicals'

Body found near Kelowna

Body found near Kelowna
R-C-M-P say a woman's body has been found in Waterfront Park near downtown Kelowna on the shores of Okanagan Lake. The Mounties say they're working with the B-C Coroners Service to identify the woman and determine the cause of her death. 

Body found near Kelowna

B.C. police warn of safety risk after male arrested for manslaughter, then released

B.C. police warn of safety risk after male arrested for manslaughter, then released
Police in Sicamous are warning of a "potential public safety risk" after a male was arrested then released with conditions over the death of a woman at a mobile home park. RCMP say 66-year-old Jo Ann Jackson was treated by paramedics at the driveway of a home in the park on Wednesday but died at the scene.

B.C. police warn of safety risk after male arrested for manslaughter, then released

Statistics Canada says retail sales rose 0.7 per cent in April to $66.8 billion

Statistics Canada says retail sales rose 0.7 per cent in April to $66.8 billion
Canadian retail sales rose 0.7 per cent to $66.8 billion in April, helped by higher sales at gasoline stations as well as food and beverage retailers. The agency said Friday sales were up in seven of the nine subsectors it tracks as sales at gasoline stations and fuel vendors gained 4.5 per cent.

Statistics Canada says retail sales rose 0.7 per cent in April to $66.8 billion

Vancouver Dragon Boat Festival will go ahead after sewage leak into False Creek

Vancouver Dragon Boat Festival will go ahead after sewage leak into False Creek
Organizers of this weekend's Dragon Boat Festival in Vancouver say a sewage leak into False Creek where the races are held won't have a major effect on the event. The leak from a pipe under Olympic Village resulted in raw sewage gushing through the neighbourhood, then pouring into the waterway.

Vancouver Dragon Boat Festival will go ahead after sewage leak into False Creek

Abbotsford fire kills 1

Abbotsford fire kills 1
The BC Coroners Services is investigating a house fire in Abbotsford that has killed at least one person and left another two in critical condition.  The City of Abbotsford says fire rescue services were called out yesterday to a reported fire at a house that people were still inside. 

Abbotsford fire kills 1