Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Dec, 2024 10:55 AM
  • Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Immigration measures announced as part of Canada's border response to president-elect Donald Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat are starting to be implemented, beginning with a ban on what's known as "flagpoling."

This is when someone who was in Canada on a temporary visa leaves for the U.S. then quickly re-enters Canada to access immigration services at a port of entry. 

The restriction on providing work and study permits to flagpolers takes effect today.

Last week, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said that going forward temporary visa holders will have to apply online to extend their stay in Canada. 

The Canadian Border Services Agency processed more than 69,300 people who engaged in flagpoling in the 2023-2024 fiscal year. 

There are still rare exceptions where a person will be granted a work or study permit even though they meet the definition of flagpoling, including international truck drivers with a work permit, professionals under certain free trade agreements and American citizens.

Miller first announced the plan to ban the practice on Dec. 17, alongside Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc who promised a border control package worth $1.3 billion. 

This includes removing the point value for having a job offer in Canada's express entry immigration system. The stated goal of this change is to reduce and prevent immigration fraud. 

In a social media post, Miller said this will take effect in the spring and that it will be a temporary measure. 

A broader review of the express entry program is being conducted, and a future decision on the value of a job offer in that system will be made at that time. 

A labour market impact assessment, a key document required for an employer to hire a foreign worker, is currently worth 50 to 200 points in the express entry system. 

Applicants are not supposed to pay for these, but a black market has emerged where people are charging tens of thousands of dollars for these documents. 

Applications that are already in progress won't be affected once this change takes effect. 

Miller also said the government is looking at ways to streamline Canada's asylum system at that Dec. 17 press conference. This includes exploring options to "quickly deal with" illegitimate claims. 

The government's broader border measures plan to respond to Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat also includes enhanced aerial surveillance and drug detection efforts.

MORE National ARTICLES

Coalition of drug user groups wants court to quash B.C. drug 'recriminalization'

Coalition of drug user groups wants court to quash B.C. drug 'recriminalization'
The group of 13 non-profits, including the Matsqui-Abbotsford Impact Society and the Vancouver Area Network of Drug Users, says in an application filed in Federal Court that the federal government recriminalized public drug possession in B.C. "with minimal justification or evidence."

Coalition of drug user groups wants court to quash B.C. drug 'recriminalization'

LNG company plans to use 'floatel' near Squamish, B.C., without local permit

LNG company plans to use 'floatel' near Squamish, B.C., without local permit
The company behind a natural gas project near Squamish has withdrawn its application for a local permit to house workers in a converted cruise ship, and is instead pressing ahead on the basis of a provincial order. The District of Squamish had yet to issue a temporary use permit authorizing the so-called floatel, which has been the subject of debate in council meetings in recent months.

LNG company plans to use 'floatel' near Squamish, B.C., without local permit

Canada's population grew to top 41 million in the first quarter: StatCan

Canada's population grew to top 41 million in the first quarter: StatCan
Statistics Canada says the country's population topped 41 million people in the first quarter of this year as it grew by 0.6 per cent. The agency says the population reached 41,012,563 on April 1, a gain of 242,673 people in the first three months of the year.

Canada's population grew to top 41 million in the first quarter: StatCan

Body of second missing cousin found in Dawson Creek

Body of second missing cousin found in Dawson Creek
Mounties in Dawson Creek say they have identified human remains discovered in April as belonging to Darylyn Supernant, who was among four people to vanish from the area since she went missing in March 2023. Dawson Creek RCMP say DNA from the remains found on April 19 were compared with Supernant's parents, confirming the identity. 

Body of second missing cousin found in Dawson Creek

Police say shoplifting started at new B.C. store 40 minutes after first opening

Police say shoplifting started at new B.C. store 40 minutes after first opening
Police say a new grocery store in Prince George, B.C., has been hit by a spate of shoplifting that began 40 minutes after it opened its doors for the first time. The Buy-Low Foods store opened on Friday and police say that over the next three days a total of 12 shoplifting incidents were reported, involving 13 people and just over $450 in stolen merchandise.

Police say shoplifting started at new B.C. store 40 minutes after first opening

More rental housing units to come for Surrey

More rental housing units to come for Surrey
Construction is underway for more affordable rental housing units in Surrey. Housing Minister Ravi Kahlon says seniors, families and adults living with disabilities in the city will soon get access to dozens more units as construction is underway on the Harmony Apartments.

More rental housing units to come for Surrey