Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Dec, 2024 10:55 AM
  • Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Immigration measures announced as part of Canada's border response to president-elect Donald Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat are starting to be implemented, beginning with a ban on what's known as "flagpoling."

This is when someone who was in Canada on a temporary visa leaves for the U.S. then quickly re-enters Canada to access immigration services at a port of entry. 

The restriction on providing work and study permits to flagpolers takes effect today.

Last week, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said that going forward temporary visa holders will have to apply online to extend their stay in Canada. 

The Canadian Border Services Agency processed more than 69,300 people who engaged in flagpoling in the 2023-2024 fiscal year. 

There are still rare exceptions where a person will be granted a work or study permit even though they meet the definition of flagpoling, including international truck drivers with a work permit, professionals under certain free trade agreements and American citizens.

Miller first announced the plan to ban the practice on Dec. 17, alongside Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc who promised a border control package worth $1.3 billion. 

This includes removing the point value for having a job offer in Canada's express entry immigration system. The stated goal of this change is to reduce and prevent immigration fraud. 

In a social media post, Miller said this will take effect in the spring and that it will be a temporary measure. 

A broader review of the express entry program is being conducted, and a future decision on the value of a job offer in that system will be made at that time. 

A labour market impact assessment, a key document required for an employer to hire a foreign worker, is currently worth 50 to 200 points in the express entry system. 

Applicants are not supposed to pay for these, but a black market has emerged where people are charging tens of thousands of dollars for these documents. 

Applications that are already in progress won't be affected once this change takes effect. 

Miller also said the government is looking at ways to streamline Canada's asylum system at that Dec. 17 press conference. This includes exploring options to "quickly deal with" illegitimate claims. 

The government's broader border measures plan to respond to Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat also includes enhanced aerial surveillance and drug detection efforts.

MORE National ARTICLES

Surrey police officer charged with excessive speeding

Surrey police officer charged with excessive speeding
Prosecutors say they have charged a Surrey police officer with speeding following an incident last year. A statement from the BC Prosecution Service says the charge against Surrey Police Service Const. Jared Cebryk is in connection with events that happened in the city on June 18, 2023. 

Surrey police officer charged with excessive speeding

Calgary mayor wants wide survey of water lines after catastrophic break

Calgary mayor wants wide survey of water lines after catastrophic break
Calgary's mayor is promising a wide-ranging examination of the city's underground infrastructure after a catastrophic water main break that has forced more than two weeks of use restrictions. Jyoti Gondek says she will be asking council to ensure it has the budget to provide a clear picture of all the city's water system.

Calgary mayor wants wide survey of water lines after catastrophic break

Large, smoky fire extinguished in Metro Vancouver, air quality bulletin to be lifted

Large, smoky fire extinguished in Metro Vancouver, air quality bulletin to be lifted
The Metro Vancouver Regional District says a fire at a trestle bridge in Richmond, B.C., has been extinguished after sending up huge plumes of smoke that prompted an air quality bulletin for the region. The district says in an update on the social media platform X that air quality has now improved and it will issue an update to end the bulletin.

Large, smoky fire extinguished in Metro Vancouver, air quality bulletin to be lifted

Calgary mayor sticks to Stampede opening day for possible main water fix

Calgary mayor sticks to Stampede opening day for possible main water fix
Calgary's mayor is sticking to opening day of the Stampede as a best-case scenario for the full resumption of water services in the city. But Jyoti Gondek warns that unforeseen problems could delay repairs to a catastrophic water main break that has forced citywide use restrictions for more than two weeks

Calgary mayor sticks to Stampede opening day for possible main water fix

Liberals plan talks to launch school food program before end of next school year

Liberals plan talks to launch school food program before end of next school year
Families Minister Jenna Sudds says the government hopes to see kids getting meals from the national school food program before the end of the next school year, but it will take time for organizations to scale up their operations.  The Liberals set aside $1 billion over five years for the program, which they promised during the 2021 election campaign.

Liberals plan talks to launch school food program before end of next school year

'Senseless violence': Woman killed in Surrey home invasion, father says

'Senseless violence': Woman killed in Surrey home invasion, father says
The father of a homicide victim in Surrey says she was killed in a home invasion on the weekend. The Integrated Homicide Investigation team says 30-year-old Tori Dunn died after being found with life-threatening injuries at a home in the Port Kells area of Surrey late Sunday night.

'Senseless violence': Woman killed in Surrey home invasion, father says