Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Mar, 2025 11:58 AM
  • Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Canada is waiting to see whether U.S. President Donald Trump follows through on his threat to impose economy-wide tariffs as key members of his administration suggest a final decision still has not been made.

U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick told CNN on Monday that he would be discussing the tariffs with Trump throughout the day. The billionaire financier said Canada and Mexico had done a good job on enhancing border security but more needed to be done to stop the flow of deadly fentanyl.

"He's going to decide today," Lutnick said. "We are going to put it out tomorrow."

Lutnick told Fox News on Sunday that while tariffs would be levied against America's closest neighbours, the levels remained to be seen.

Trump's executive order to implement 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian products, with a lower 10 per cent levy on energy, was delayed until Tuesday after Canada agreed to introduce new security measures at the border.

On Sunday evening, the White House indicated the duties were likely to go ahead by issuing an amendment to the executive order which makes a "de minimis" exemption for low-value imports when tariffs come into force.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol data shows the number of people and drugs crossing illegally into the United States from Canada is minuscule compared to the volume coming across the southern border. It reports just 13.6 grams of fentanyl seized by northern Border Patrol staff in January.

Canadian officials and premiers made a month-long diplomatic push in Washington but it remains unclear what Canada could do to persuade Trump to drop the tariff threats for good.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said that if the levies go into force, Ottawa will revive its previously announced plan for retaliatory tariffs.

Those were to begin with an initial 25 per cent levy on $30 billion in U.S. products, with duties on another $125 billion in goods to follow three weeks later.

New York State Gov. Kathy Hochul said the small volume of drugs that may be coming across the northern border does not "justify the cataclysmic impact that tariffs will have." She said her state and Canada are willing to work with Washington on the issue.

"But this is such an extreme remedy that is going to have a ripple effect across our entire economy," Hochul said on CNN Monday.

Trump's team hit U.S. news networks over the weekend to argue that the tariffs would help Americans, despite many economists warning that they will increase household costs.

A report issued by the Peterson Institute for International Economics last month said Trump's tariffs on Canada, Mexico and China would cost the typical U.S. household more than US $1,200 a year.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent called that report "alarmist." On CBS’ Face the Nation on Sunday, Bessent called Trump's plan "holistic" and said "there will be tariffs, there will be cuts in regulation, there will be cheaper energy."

He said that Mexico has proposed matching Washington’s tariffs on China and Canada should do the same, leaving room for areas of negotiation.

When asked whether that action would thwart the tariff threat, Bessent replied that "maybe the tariff wall goes up, and then we see what happens from there."

Many Canadian officials have said that Trump's ongoing tariff threats are tied to a mandatory review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement. The continental trade pact was negotiated under the first Trump administration to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Israeli expert seeks new crime against humanity for waging violence against families

Israeli expert seeks new crime against humanity for waging violence against families
The Israeli expert leading a civilian commission into sexual violence by Hamas is calling for global bodies to recognize "a new crime against humanity" involving violence targeted at families. Cochav Elkayam-Levy said the world should take a stance against the destruction of families as a specific, identifiable weapon of war, aimed at terrorizing one's kin. She is proposing the crime be called "kinocide."

Israeli expert seeks new crime against humanity for waging violence against families

Canada's chief actuary report at odds with Alberta's pension plan estimate

Canada's chief actuary report at odds with Alberta's pension plan estimate
The chief actuary’s paper, published Friday, says the calculation that claims Alberta should get 53 per cent — or $334 billion — of the $575-billion in CPP assets “does not respect” federal pension legislation. The $334-billion estimate comes from a report commissioned by the Alberta government in 2023 from consultants LifeWorks.

Canada's chief actuary report at odds with Alberta's pension plan estimate

US president-elect's son shares post on X of Donald Trump buying Canada on Amazon

US president-elect's son shares post on X of Donald Trump buying Canada on Amazon
U-S president-elect Donald Trump and those in his corner continue to send out strong messages about Canada. In a post on the social media platform X, Eric Trump shared a doctored photo of his father purchasing Canada, Greenland and the Panama Canal on Amazon.

US president-elect's son shares post on X of Donald Trump buying Canada on Amazon

Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect
Immigration measures announced as part of Canada's border response to president-elect Donald Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat are starting to be implemented, beginning with a ban on what's known as "flagpoling." This is when someone who was in Canada on a temporary visa leaves for the U.S. then quickly re-enters Canada to access immigration services at a port of entry. 

Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Court rules B.C. law to push through Vancouver housing project is unconstitutional

Court rules B.C. law to push through Vancouver housing project is unconstitutional
The provincial government had adopted the law at the request of the City of Vancouver in 2023 to push through a 12-storey housing development at Arbutus Street, featuring units open to low‑income residents and users of support services.

Court rules B.C. law to push through Vancouver housing project is unconstitutional

YVR janitors suspend strike escalation after tentative deal

YVR janitors suspend strike escalation after tentative deal
Janitors with Local 2 of the Service Employees International Union say they had planned to set up lawful picket lines at undisclosed areas of the airport during the busy travel day.  The 233 cleaners at the airport had been striking at a designated area of the airport since Thursday.

YVR janitors suspend strike escalation after tentative deal