Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Mar, 2025 11:58 AM
  • Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Canada is waiting to see whether U.S. President Donald Trump follows through on his threat to impose economy-wide tariffs as key members of his administration suggest a final decision still has not been made.

U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick told CNN on Monday that he would be discussing the tariffs with Trump throughout the day. The billionaire financier said Canada and Mexico had done a good job on enhancing border security but more needed to be done to stop the flow of deadly fentanyl.

"He's going to decide today," Lutnick said. "We are going to put it out tomorrow."

Lutnick told Fox News on Sunday that while tariffs would be levied against America's closest neighbours, the levels remained to be seen.

Trump's executive order to implement 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian products, with a lower 10 per cent levy on energy, was delayed until Tuesday after Canada agreed to introduce new security measures at the border.

On Sunday evening, the White House indicated the duties were likely to go ahead by issuing an amendment to the executive order which makes a "de minimis" exemption for low-value imports when tariffs come into force.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol data shows the number of people and drugs crossing illegally into the United States from Canada is minuscule compared to the volume coming across the southern border. It reports just 13.6 grams of fentanyl seized by northern Border Patrol staff in January.

Canadian officials and premiers made a month-long diplomatic push in Washington but it remains unclear what Canada could do to persuade Trump to drop the tariff threats for good.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said that if the levies go into force, Ottawa will revive its previously announced plan for retaliatory tariffs.

Those were to begin with an initial 25 per cent levy on $30 billion in U.S. products, with duties on another $125 billion in goods to follow three weeks later.

New York State Gov. Kathy Hochul said the small volume of drugs that may be coming across the northern border does not "justify the cataclysmic impact that tariffs will have." She said her state and Canada are willing to work with Washington on the issue.

"But this is such an extreme remedy that is going to have a ripple effect across our entire economy," Hochul said on CNN Monday.

Trump's team hit U.S. news networks over the weekend to argue that the tariffs would help Americans, despite many economists warning that they will increase household costs.

A report issued by the Peterson Institute for International Economics last month said Trump's tariffs on Canada, Mexico and China would cost the typical U.S. household more than US $1,200 a year.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent called that report "alarmist." On CBS’ Face the Nation on Sunday, Bessent called Trump's plan "holistic" and said "there will be tariffs, there will be cuts in regulation, there will be cheaper energy."

He said that Mexico has proposed matching Washington’s tariffs on China and Canada should do the same, leaving room for areas of negotiation.

When asked whether that action would thwart the tariff threat, Bessent replied that "maybe the tariff wall goes up, and then we see what happens from there."

Many Canadian officials have said that Trump's ongoing tariff threats are tied to a mandatory review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement. The continental trade pact was negotiated under the first Trump administration to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Bank of Canada watching economy closely after half-point rate cut

Bank of Canada watching economy closely after half-point rate cut
Members considered only cutting by a quarter-point, but ultimately brought the rate down to 3.25 per cent in a bid to bring it closer to its so called neutral rate, where it is neither slowing nor speeding up economic growth.

Bank of Canada watching economy closely after half-point rate cut

Environment Canada issues blizzard warning in Yukon, gusts up to 100 km/h expected

Environment Canada issues blizzard warning in Yukon, gusts up to 100 km/h expected
Environment Canada has issued a blizzard warning for Dempster Highway near the Richardson Mountains in Yukon. The advisory warns drivers in the region that travel is "extremely hazardous" due to gusty winds with "persistent visibility near zero" due to blowing snow. 

Environment Canada issues blizzard warning in Yukon, gusts up to 100 km/h expected

Second mudslide victim's body found as more high winds strike B.C. coast

Second mudslide victim's body found as more high winds strike B.C. coast
High winds are again hitting the coast of British Columbia, as gusts surpassing 100 km/h have been reported at several outlying islands. The continuing stormy weather comes as police say emergency crews have recovered the body of a second victim killed in a mudslide in the Sea to Sky region during another windstorm last weekend.

Second mudslide victim's body found as more high winds strike B.C. coast

Trudeau to chair Canada-U.S. relations cabinet committee amid calls to resign

Trudeau to chair Canada-U.S. relations cabinet committee amid calls to resign
A mid-day adjustment to Trudeau's itinerary was issued by the Prime Minister's Office and notes he will take part in the meeting virtually, though a specific time wasn't listed.

Trudeau to chair Canada-U.S. relations cabinet committee amid calls to resign

Manitoba RCMP say 10-year-old dead after snowmobile hits tree

Manitoba RCMP say 10-year-old dead after snowmobile hits tree
A 10-year-old boy has died after a snowmobile he was driving collided with a tree in southern Manitoba. Mounties were called Sunday evening to a private property about six kilometres north of the community of Rosebank in the Pembina Valley region. 

Manitoba RCMP say 10-year-old dead after snowmobile hits tree

Mounties in Squamish, B.C., recover stolen search-and-rescue equipment

Mounties in Squamish, B.C., recover stolen search-and-rescue equipment
Mounties in Squamish say they have recovered BC Parks and search-and-rescue equipment that was stolen this fall.  They say in a news release that police received a report on Oct. 18 that a BC Parks storage unit had been broken into overnight and "large items" stolen.

Mounties in Squamish, B.C., recover stolen search-and-rescue equipment