Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Mar, 2025 11:58 AM
  • Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Canada is waiting to see whether U.S. President Donald Trump follows through on his threat to impose economy-wide tariffs as key members of his administration suggest a final decision still has not been made.

U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick told CNN on Monday that he would be discussing the tariffs with Trump throughout the day. The billionaire financier said Canada and Mexico had done a good job on enhancing border security but more needed to be done to stop the flow of deadly fentanyl.

"He's going to decide today," Lutnick said. "We are going to put it out tomorrow."

Lutnick told Fox News on Sunday that while tariffs would be levied against America's closest neighbours, the levels remained to be seen.

Trump's executive order to implement 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian products, with a lower 10 per cent levy on energy, was delayed until Tuesday after Canada agreed to introduce new security measures at the border.

On Sunday evening, the White House indicated the duties were likely to go ahead by issuing an amendment to the executive order which makes a "de minimis" exemption for low-value imports when tariffs come into force.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol data shows the number of people and drugs crossing illegally into the United States from Canada is minuscule compared to the volume coming across the southern border. It reports just 13.6 grams of fentanyl seized by northern Border Patrol staff in January.

Canadian officials and premiers made a month-long diplomatic push in Washington but it remains unclear what Canada could do to persuade Trump to drop the tariff threats for good.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said that if the levies go into force, Ottawa will revive its previously announced plan for retaliatory tariffs.

Those were to begin with an initial 25 per cent levy on $30 billion in U.S. products, with duties on another $125 billion in goods to follow three weeks later.

New York State Gov. Kathy Hochul said the small volume of drugs that may be coming across the northern border does not "justify the cataclysmic impact that tariffs will have." She said her state and Canada are willing to work with Washington on the issue.

"But this is such an extreme remedy that is going to have a ripple effect across our entire economy," Hochul said on CNN Monday.

Trump's team hit U.S. news networks over the weekend to argue that the tariffs would help Americans, despite many economists warning that they will increase household costs.

A report issued by the Peterson Institute for International Economics last month said Trump's tariffs on Canada, Mexico and China would cost the typical U.S. household more than US $1,200 a year.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent called that report "alarmist." On CBS’ Face the Nation on Sunday, Bessent called Trump's plan "holistic" and said "there will be tariffs, there will be cuts in regulation, there will be cheaper energy."

He said that Mexico has proposed matching Washington’s tariffs on China and Canada should do the same, leaving room for areas of negotiation.

When asked whether that action would thwart the tariff threat, Bessent replied that "maybe the tariff wall goes up, and then we see what happens from there."

Many Canadian officials have said that Trump's ongoing tariff threats are tied to a mandatory review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement. The continental trade pact was negotiated under the first Trump administration to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Arrest in smuggling operation: CBSA

Arrest in smuggling operation: CBSA
The Canada Border Services Agency says a 34-year-old Vancouver resident has been arrested for their suspected involvement in a cigarette smuggling operation. It says an investigation into the operation was launched in February after C-B-S-A officers intercepted numerous contraband cigarette shipments at Vancouver International Airport Commercial Operations and the Vancouver International Mail Centre.

Arrest in smuggling operation: CBSA

Landslide on tracks stops Amtrak passenger runs between Seattle and Vancouver

Landslide on tracks stops Amtrak passenger runs between Seattle and Vancouver
A landslide that blocked railway tracks has stopped Amtrak passenger service between Vancouver and Seattle. Amtrak says in a statement Thursday that the landslide near White Rock, B.C., led Burlington Northern Santa Fa Railway to place a 48-hour moratorium on passenger service. 

Landslide on tracks stops Amtrak passenger runs between Seattle and Vancouver

Emissions in Canada fell last year, though still far off Paris targets

Emissions in Canada fell last year, though still far off Paris targets
For the first time since the pandemic, Canada had a year-over-year decline in its greenhouse gas emissions — though it is still a long way off its 2030 target. A preliminary emissions report Thursday from the federal government shows greenhouse gases emitted in 2023 fell by six million tonnes compared to 2022, the equivalent to what about 1.4 million passenger vehicles emit over the course of a year.

Emissions in Canada fell last year, though still far off Paris targets

Forfeited Hells Angels clubhouse in Kelowna sold to the city

Forfeited Hells Angels clubhouse in Kelowna sold to the city
A former Hells Angels clubhouse that was seized by the British Columbia government in 2023 after years of fighting in court has been sold to the City of Kelowna.  A statement from Public Safety Minister Garry Begg says the sale of the home in Kelowna includes a "right of entry," which means the province's civil forfeiture office can take the property back if it is ever acquired and used for organized crime in the future.

Forfeited Hells Angels clubhouse in Kelowna sold to the city

Dozens get sick with 'norovirus-like' illness after eating raw B.C. oysters

Dozens get sick with 'norovirus-like' illness after eating raw B.C. oysters
Health officials in British Columbia say at least 64 people have become sick after eating raw oysters from restaurants and retail locations. A statement from the BC Centre for Disease Control and the provincial health authority says the "norovirus-like" gastrointestinal illnesses have been reported since Nov. 1 in the Vancouver Coastal Health, Fraser Health and Island Health regions. 

Dozens get sick with 'norovirus-like' illness after eating raw B.C. oysters

Vancouver Police Union criticizes assault case's handling after officer's suicide

Vancouver Police Union criticizes assault case's handling after officer's suicide
The president of the Vancouver Police Union has criticized the handling of a sexual assault case that ended in the suicide of a Central Saanich Police officer. Ralph Kaisers says in a letter to members that was obtained by The Canadian Press that the "tragic loss" of the officer came after public statements that risked "undermining the presumption of innocence."

Vancouver Police Union criticizes assault case's handling after officer's suicide