Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Mar, 2025 11:58 AM
  • Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Canada is waiting to see whether U.S. President Donald Trump follows through on his threat to impose economy-wide tariffs as key members of his administration suggest a final decision still has not been made.

U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick told CNN on Monday that he would be discussing the tariffs with Trump throughout the day. The billionaire financier said Canada and Mexico had done a good job on enhancing border security but more needed to be done to stop the flow of deadly fentanyl.

"He's going to decide today," Lutnick said. "We are going to put it out tomorrow."

Lutnick told Fox News on Sunday that while tariffs would be levied against America's closest neighbours, the levels remained to be seen.

Trump's executive order to implement 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian products, with a lower 10 per cent levy on energy, was delayed until Tuesday after Canada agreed to introduce new security measures at the border.

On Sunday evening, the White House indicated the duties were likely to go ahead by issuing an amendment to the executive order which makes a "de minimis" exemption for low-value imports when tariffs come into force.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol data shows the number of people and drugs crossing illegally into the United States from Canada is minuscule compared to the volume coming across the southern border. It reports just 13.6 grams of fentanyl seized by northern Border Patrol staff in January.

Canadian officials and premiers made a month-long diplomatic push in Washington but it remains unclear what Canada could do to persuade Trump to drop the tariff threats for good.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said that if the levies go into force, Ottawa will revive its previously announced plan for retaliatory tariffs.

Those were to begin with an initial 25 per cent levy on $30 billion in U.S. products, with duties on another $125 billion in goods to follow three weeks later.

New York State Gov. Kathy Hochul said the small volume of drugs that may be coming across the northern border does not "justify the cataclysmic impact that tariffs will have." She said her state and Canada are willing to work with Washington on the issue.

"But this is such an extreme remedy that is going to have a ripple effect across our entire economy," Hochul said on CNN Monday.

Trump's team hit U.S. news networks over the weekend to argue that the tariffs would help Americans, despite many economists warning that they will increase household costs.

A report issued by the Peterson Institute for International Economics last month said Trump's tariffs on Canada, Mexico and China would cost the typical U.S. household more than US $1,200 a year.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent called that report "alarmist." On CBS’ Face the Nation on Sunday, Bessent called Trump's plan "holistic" and said "there will be tariffs, there will be cuts in regulation, there will be cheaper energy."

He said that Mexico has proposed matching Washington’s tariffs on China and Canada should do the same, leaving room for areas of negotiation.

When asked whether that action would thwart the tariff threat, Bessent replied that "maybe the tariff wall goes up, and then we see what happens from there."

Many Canadian officials have said that Trump's ongoing tariff threats are tied to a mandatory review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement. The continental trade pact was negotiated under the first Trump administration to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Attempted murder charges for woman who tried to drive car with kids into B.C. river

Attempted murder charges for woman who tried to drive car with kids into B.C. river
Police in Delta say a woman has been charged with attempted murder after allegedly trying to drive a car carrying two young children into the Fraser River last month.  Delta police say officers had responded to an incident on Nov. 29 on River Road where they found a car stuck on the foreshore of the river. 

Attempted murder charges for woman who tried to drive car with kids into B.C. river

Latest B.C. storm brings 140 km/h gusts to Vancouver Island amid wind, snow warnings

Latest B.C. storm brings 140 km/h gusts to Vancouver Island amid wind, snow warnings
Winds approaching 140 km/h have been hitting Vancouver Island weather stations after Environment Canada issued the latest in a series of wind warnings for the B.C. coast. It says the warnings cover exposed coastal sections of the island's north and B.C.'s central coast, with a Pacific frontal system approaching.

Latest B.C. storm brings 140 km/h gusts to Vancouver Island amid wind, snow warnings

B.C. police officer charged with sexual assault dies by suicide, reports say

B.C. police officer charged with sexual assault dies by suicide, reports say
Several British Columbia media reports say one of two Central Saanich Police officers charged with sexual assaulting a woman they met on duty has died by suicide. The Times Colonist cites four sources saying 43-year-old Sgt. Matthew Ball has died, while other outlets cite police sources saying Ball died by suicide.

B.C. police officer charged with sexual assault dies by suicide, reports say

Virani says new wrongful conviction commission will support women, racialized people

Virani says new wrongful conviction commission will support women, racialized people
The law, named after David Milgaard and his mother, Joyce, will move the review process of cases away from the ministers, and will be replaced with an independent commission the government says will make it easier, faster and more fair for the potentially wrongfully convicted.

Virani says new wrongful conviction commission will support women, racialized people

Canada Post to start taking commercial mail again

Canada Post to start taking commercial mail again
Canada Post is set to start accepting commercial letters and parcels as it works to get back to normal operations following a month-long strike. The postal service has warned Canadians should expect delays into the new year as it works through a backlog of mail, after workers went back on the job Tuesday. 

Canada Post to start taking commercial mail again

NDP seeks distance from Liberals, sees fight in next election is with Conservatives

NDP seeks distance from Liberals, sees fight in next election is with Conservatives
NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh began 2024 by propping up Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s minority government. He is ending the year calling for Trudeau’s resignation. Singh's gradual effort to limit his alliance with the Liberals hastened this week after Trudeau's finance minister quit, plunging the government into more political chaos and raising questions about whether Trudeau can even stay on as prime minister much longer.

NDP seeks distance from Liberals, sees fight in next election is with Conservatives