Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Mar, 2025 11:58 AM
  • Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Canada is waiting to see whether U.S. President Donald Trump follows through on his threat to impose economy-wide tariffs as key members of his administration suggest a final decision still has not been made.

U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick told CNN on Monday that he would be discussing the tariffs with Trump throughout the day. The billionaire financier said Canada and Mexico had done a good job on enhancing border security but more needed to be done to stop the flow of deadly fentanyl.

"He's going to decide today," Lutnick said. "We are going to put it out tomorrow."

Lutnick told Fox News on Sunday that while tariffs would be levied against America's closest neighbours, the levels remained to be seen.

Trump's executive order to implement 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian products, with a lower 10 per cent levy on energy, was delayed until Tuesday after Canada agreed to introduce new security measures at the border.

On Sunday evening, the White House indicated the duties were likely to go ahead by issuing an amendment to the executive order which makes a "de minimis" exemption for low-value imports when tariffs come into force.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol data shows the number of people and drugs crossing illegally into the United States from Canada is minuscule compared to the volume coming across the southern border. It reports just 13.6 grams of fentanyl seized by northern Border Patrol staff in January.

Canadian officials and premiers made a month-long diplomatic push in Washington but it remains unclear what Canada could do to persuade Trump to drop the tariff threats for good.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said that if the levies go into force, Ottawa will revive its previously announced plan for retaliatory tariffs.

Those were to begin with an initial 25 per cent levy on $30 billion in U.S. products, with duties on another $125 billion in goods to follow three weeks later.

New York State Gov. Kathy Hochul said the small volume of drugs that may be coming across the northern border does not "justify the cataclysmic impact that tariffs will have." She said her state and Canada are willing to work with Washington on the issue.

"But this is such an extreme remedy that is going to have a ripple effect across our entire economy," Hochul said on CNN Monday.

Trump's team hit U.S. news networks over the weekend to argue that the tariffs would help Americans, despite many economists warning that they will increase household costs.

A report issued by the Peterson Institute for International Economics last month said Trump's tariffs on Canada, Mexico and China would cost the typical U.S. household more than US $1,200 a year.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent called that report "alarmist." On CBS’ Face the Nation on Sunday, Bessent called Trump's plan "holistic" and said "there will be tariffs, there will be cuts in regulation, there will be cheaper energy."

He said that Mexico has proposed matching Washington’s tariffs on China and Canada should do the same, leaving room for areas of negotiation.

When asked whether that action would thwart the tariff threat, Bessent replied that "maybe the tariff wall goes up, and then we see what happens from there."

Many Canadian officials have said that Trump's ongoing tariff threats are tied to a mandatory review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement. The continental trade pact was negotiated under the first Trump administration to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Wet and windy Christmas for B.C. coast, as holiday procession of storms takes aim

Wet and windy Christmas for B.C. coast, as holiday procession of storms takes aim
The weather office says a "powerful frontal system" will then arrive on the south coast and Vancouver Island Christmas morning, with strong winds and heavy rain expected to last late into the night. 

Wet and windy Christmas for B.C. coast, as holiday procession of storms takes aim

Bright Nights Train cancelled

Bright Nights Train cancelled
Vancouver's parks board says its popular Bright Nights Stanley Park Train will not return for the rest of the holiday season. It says in a news release that operations were stopped last week after exhaust from one of the train’s locomotives caused a driver to get sick. 

Bright Nights Train cancelled

Former B.C. premier Glen Clark has been appointed as the new BC Hydro chair

Former B.C. premier Glen Clark has been appointed as the new BC Hydro chair
Former B.C. premier Glen Clark is returning to the public eye, two years after leaving his high-profile position as president of Jim Pattison Group. The provincial government has announced that Clark has been appointed to chair BC Hydro's board of directors, taking over for Lori Wanamaker, whose term ends on Dec. 31. 

Former B.C. premier Glen Clark has been appointed as the new BC Hydro chair

B.C. mayor gets calls from across Canada about 'crazy' plan to recruit doctors

B.C. mayor gets calls from across Canada about 'crazy' plan to recruit doctors
A British Columbia community's "out-of-the-box" plan to ease its family doctor shortage by hiring physicians as city employees is sparking interest from across Canada, says Colwood Mayor Doug Kobayashi. The mayor said the community has hired its first family doctor for a city-operated medical clinic, and the Victoria-area city is looking to hire seven more under the first-in-Canada pilot project.

B.C. mayor gets calls from across Canada about 'crazy' plan to recruit doctors

Sentencing hearing for parents in death of Calgary toddler set for March

Sentencing hearing for parents in death of Calgary toddler set for March
A sentencing hearing for a Calgary couple in the death of their badly burned and emaciated toddler has been scheduled for next year. Sonya Pasqua and Michael Sinclair pleaded guilty last week to manslaughter. Gabriel Sinclair-Pasqua, who was 18 months old, died in 2021 after suffering major burns to a third of his body.

Sentencing hearing for parents in death of Calgary toddler set for March

New Canada Line stop station in Richmond

New Canada Line stop station in Richmond
TransLink says a new SkyTrain station in Richmond is open to the public today for regular service. The Capstan station, which will link the existing Bridgeport and Aberdeen stations, will be a new Canada Line stop. 

New Canada Line stop station in Richmond