Sunday, February 15, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

2 people injured in rock climbing incident

2 people injured in rock climbing incident
B-C Emergency Health Services say two people were taken to hospital by helicopter from a rock climbing area in Squamish yesterday.  Brain Twaites, public information officer with the B-C E-H-S says the agency received a call before 1 p.m. about people in need of medical assistance in the Squamish region. 

2 people injured in rock climbing incident

Man dies in Whalley

Man dies in Whalley
Surrey R-C-M-P are asking witnesses to contact them after a man died in the Whalley neighbourhood Wednesday night.  The R-C-M-P says officers received a call from B-C Emergency Health Services at 6:40 p.m. on Wednesday and they located an unresponsive man who had fallen while lleaving a transit bus.

Man dies in Whalley

The costs of a Metro Vancouver SkyTrain extension jump by $1.9B and it's a year late

The costs of a Metro Vancouver SkyTrain extension jump by $1.9B and it's a year late
The total cost of building the Surrey-Langley SkyTrain extension in Metro Vancouver has soared by $2 billion and the project has been delayed for a year. The Transportation Ministry says in a statement the budget of the 16-kilometre extension of the SkyTrain into Langley is now estimated at $5.996 billion, up from the original $4 billion projected. 

The costs of a Metro Vancouver SkyTrain extension jump by $1.9B and it's a year late

Cause of Vancouver fire unknown

Cause of Vancouver fire unknown
Officials say they'll never know the cause of a massive fire earlier this summer that started a warehouse and then burned a wooden trestle in Metro Vancouver. The fire sent black smoke billowing across the region, prompting an air quality advisory and the temporary closure of a bridge between Vancouver and Richmond.

Cause of Vancouver fire unknown

Bloc leader says he is shocked by millions in 'juicy' bonuses awarded to CBC execs

Bloc leader says he is shocked by millions in 'juicy' bonuses awarded to CBC execs
The $18.4 million CBC/Radio-Canada awarded in bonuses to its employees this year is shocking, Bloc Québécois Leader Yves-François Blanchet said. He also said bonuses at the public broadcaster aren't justified because a government-owned corporation doesn't face competition like in the private sector. 

Bloc leader says he is shocked by millions in 'juicy' bonuses awarded to CBC execs

Tenant advocate decries 'troubling' ruling that let landlord hike rent by 27 per cent

Tenant advocate decries 'troubling' ruling that let landlord hike rent by 27 per cent
The landlord company successfully argued that financial losses caused by the interest rate hikes were not foreseeable "under reasonable circumstances," and it should be allowed to increase rent beyond the 3.5 per cent limit set by the province for this year.

Tenant advocate decries 'troubling' ruling that let landlord hike rent by 27 per cent