Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada lists old NYC residence for $13M, surpassing cost of new luxury condo

Canada lists old NYC residence for $13M, surpassing cost of new luxury condo
Canada is selling its former Manhattan residence, which used to house its consulate general in New York.  Global Affairs Canada says the five-bedroom condo was listed today at over $13 million, which is expected to exceed the purchase price of its new $9 million condo located on a Manhattan street known as Billionaires' Row. 

Canada lists old NYC residence for $13M, surpassing cost of new luxury condo

B.C. police watchdog says officer in Gastown shooting may have committed offence

B.C. police watchdog says officer in Gastown shooting may have committed offence
British Columbia's police watchdog says a Metro Vancouver Transit Police officer involved in a shooting in Vancouver's Gastown neighbourhood in 2022 may have committed an offence and has asked prosecutors to consider charges. The Independent Investigations Office says there are "reasonable grounds" to believe the officer may have broken the law in relation to use of a firearm.

B.C. police watchdog says officer in Gastown shooting may have committed offence

District gives 'all clear,' rescinds evacuation alert due to Shetland Creek wildfire

District gives 'all clear,' rescinds evacuation alert due to Shetland Creek wildfire
The Shetland Creek wildfire destroyed at least 20 structures, six of which were homes in the Venables Valley in the days after the blaze was first reported on July 12. The fire is still classified as out of control and has burned 280 square kilometres of forested land on rural properties on the western side of the Thompson River.

District gives 'all clear,' rescinds evacuation alert due to Shetland Creek wildfire

Workplace report blames BC Wildfire Service again in another firefighter's death

Workplace report blames BC Wildfire Service again in another firefighter's death
The WorkSafeBC report into the July 28 death of Zak Muise, employed by contractor Big Cat Wildfire, says the wildfire service didn't adequately supervise use of the utility vehicles, lacked procedures and training about their operation and didn't ensure they were inspected for safety.

Workplace report blames BC Wildfire Service again in another firefighter's death

Crackdown on illegal ride hailing

Crackdown on illegal ride hailing
Mounties in Metro Vancouver say a three-month crackdown on unlicensed ride-hailing drivers has led to more than 66-thousand-dollars in fines. Richmond R-C-M-P say it involved six days of enforcement by officers who used unauthorized ride-hailing apps to book rides and intercept the drivers.

Crackdown on illegal ride hailing

Large scale theft at Lululemon

Large scale theft at Lululemon
Two men have been arrested in connection with what police describe as a large-scale theft operation targeting Lululemon stores across the Lower Mainland. Metro Vancouver Transit Police say a 39-year-old man was arrested in April as he was making a getaway at Burnaby's Metrotown SkyTrain station.

Large scale theft at Lululemon