Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Banff residents vote against downtown pedestrian zone in plebiscite

Banff residents vote against downtown pedestrian zone in plebiscite
Banff residents have given a thumbs down to a pedestrian zone in the community's downtown, rejecting the idea in a plebiscite Monday. The Town of Banff posted unofficial results of the vote on its website, saying 1,328 votes were cast against the town council's decision to have a pedestrian zone on Banff Avenue every summer, from the May long weekend to Thanksgiving long weekend.

Banff residents vote against downtown pedestrian zone in plebiscite

Focus on recovery after fire's 'heartbreaking' destruction: mayor of Slocan

Focus on recovery after fire's 'heartbreaking' destruction: mayor of Slocan
Jessica Lunn, mayor of Slocan in British Columbia's Kootenay region, said she drove along Highway 6 this week to survey the damage done by a nearby complex of fires that forced the evacuations of hundreds and destroyed homes along the road. Lunn, who said attention was now turning to recovery, called the losses "heartbreaking," although she couldn't see the damaged buildings from the newly reopened section of highway.

Focus on recovery after fire's 'heartbreaking' destruction: mayor of Slocan

Wildfire smoke causing air quality and visibility issues in northern Manitoba

Wildfire smoke causing air quality and visibility issues in northern Manitoba
Many parts of northern Manitoba are under an air quality warning due to wildfire smoke, which is also causing reduced visibility. Environment and Climate Change Canada says the amount of smoke can fluctuate over short distances and can vary considerably from hour to hour.

Wildfire smoke causing air quality and visibility issues in northern Manitoba

Calgary daycares shut down by Alberta government over safety concerns pushing back

Calgary daycares shut down by Alberta government over safety concerns pushing back
The operators of three Calgary child-care facilities shut down this week are speaking out against the Alberta government's inspection process, saying they've been discriminated against. The Calgary programs were forced to close Monday, with the government citing "an imminent danger to the health, safety and well-being of children attending the programs."

Calgary daycares shut down by Alberta government over safety concerns pushing back

Why it took nearly a year to link multiple Listeria cases to some plant-based milks

Why it took nearly a year to link multiple Listeria cases to some plant-based milks
The Public Health Agency of Canada says it was only after multiple Listeria cases emerged in Ontario in June that it recognized a broader outbreak that had started back in August 2023. Questions have swirled around why it took nearly a year for the Canadian Food Inspection Agency to announce a national recall of several Silk and Great Value plant-based milk products on July 8.

Why it took nearly a year to link multiple Listeria cases to some plant-based milks

Statistics Canada reports wholesale sales down 0.6% in June

Statistics Canada reports wholesale sales down 0.6% in June
Statistics Canada says wholesale sales, excluding petroleum, petroleum products, and other hydrocarbons and excluding oilseed and grain, fell 0.6 per cent to $82.4 billion in June.  The agency says sales fell in five of the seven subsectors.

Statistics Canada reports wholesale sales down 0.6% in June