Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Liberal foreign interference bill includes some 'good tools' for RCMP: commissioner

Liberal foreign interference bill includes some 'good tools' for RCMP: commissioner
The head of the RCMP says proposed federal legislation would equip the national police force with some "good tools" to address foreign interference.

Liberal foreign interference bill includes some 'good tools' for RCMP: commissioner

Montreal police, prosecutors launch project to better address strangulation cases

Montreal police, prosecutors launch project to better address strangulation cases
Montreal police and the Quebec prosecutor's office are launching a pilot project to help authorities better address domestic violence-related strangulations.

Montreal police, prosecutors launch project to better address strangulation cases

Six Canadian children repatriated from detention in Syria, Global Affairs Canada says

Six Canadian children repatriated from detention in Syria, Global Affairs Canada says
The Global Affairs Department says six Canadian children have been repatriated from detention in northeastern Syria.

Six Canadian children repatriated from detention in Syria, Global Affairs Canada says

India's envoy to Canada scheduled to speak on bilateral ties after RCMP arrests

India's envoy to Canada scheduled to speak on bilateral ties after RCMP arrests
India's envoy to Canada is scheduled to speak publicly today for the first time since the RCMP made arrests in a killing that has roiled tensions between the two countries.

India's envoy to Canada scheduled to speak on bilateral ties after RCMP arrests

Three Indian nationals accused of murdering Hardeep Singh Nijjar facing court in B.C.

Three Indian nationals accused of murdering Hardeep Singh Nijjar facing court in B.C.
Members of British Columbia's Sikh community filled a Surrey courtroom as three Indian nationals accused of murdering temple leader and political activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar made their first court appearances by video. The three suspects — Karan Brar, Karanpreet Singh and Kamalpreet Singh — wore orange jumpsuits and briefly responded to questions from Judge Delaram Jahani in separate appearances.

Three Indian nationals accused of murdering Hardeep Singh Nijjar facing court in B.C.

Report warns of dramatic rise in antisemitic incidents in Canada in 2023

Report warns of dramatic rise in antisemitic incidents in Canada in 2023
Jewish leaders in Canada are warning of a national crisis as the number of hateful incidents targeting Jews doubled in one year. B'Nai Brith Canada says it documented nearly 5,800 incidents of antisemitism in 2023, including acts of violence, harassment and vandalism.

Report warns of dramatic rise in antisemitic incidents in Canada in 2023