Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Scientists, clinicians across Canada preparing for future pandemic threats

Scientists, clinicians across Canada preparing for future pandemic threats
The federal government announced $574 million in funding on Monday for 19 projects across the country to prepare for health emergencies, including the next pandemic. One of them is a national network of existing emergency departments and primary-care clinics that will screen for any new viruses or pathogens that start to appear in patients.

Scientists, clinicians across Canada preparing for future pandemic threats

Dozens of London Drugs stores reopen after cybersecurity shutdown

Dozens of London Drugs stores reopen after cybersecurity shutdown
London Drugs is gradually reopening its stores across Western Canada more than a week after a cybersecurity breach forced the retailer to close. The company says it is working with independent cybersecurity experts to securely bring its systems back online after it was discovered April 28.

Dozens of London Drugs stores reopen after cybersecurity shutdown

B.C. court date set for three accused of murdering Sikh activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar

B.C. court date set for three accused of murdering Sikh activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar
Three suspects accused of murdering British Columbia Sikh activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar last year are scheduled to appear in court in Surrey on Tuesday. Indian nationals Karanpreet Singh, Kamalpreet Singh, and Karan Brar are due to face charges of first-degree murder and conspiracy to murder at Surrey Provincial Court.

B.C. court date set for three accused of murdering Sikh activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar

Man charged with second-degree murder in White Rock, B.C., stabbing: RCMP

Man charged with second-degree murder in White Rock, B.C., stabbing: RCMP
Mounties say a man has been charged with second-degree murder in a fatal stabbing that shook the community of White Rock, B.C., last month. A statement from the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says 27-year-old Dimitri Hyacinth from nearby Surrey is accused of killing Kulwinder Singh Sohi on April 23, two days after Hyacinth allegedly stabbed another man who survived the attack.

Man charged with second-degree murder in White Rock, B.C., stabbing: RCMP

Police say 3 men arrested, charged in the killing of B.C. Sikh activist, Nijjar

Police say 3 men arrested, charged in the killing of B.C. Sikh activist, Nijjar
Three Indian nationals have been charged with the murder of B.C. Sikh activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar, in a killing last year that threw Ottawa's relationship with New Delhi into disarray. Police say they are investigating if the Indian government was involved, an allegation raised by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in the House of Commons last year.  

Police say 3 men arrested, charged in the killing of B.C. Sikh activist, Nijjar

What delayed Alberta carbon capture project: analysts

What delayed Alberta carbon capture project: analysts
A corporate decision to mothball Canada's largest carbon capture and storage plan is likely the result of financial uncertainty and technological risks, analysts suggest.

What delayed Alberta carbon capture project: analysts