Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Alberta government to amend bill granting it sweeping powers over municipalities

Alberta government to amend bill granting it sweeping powers over municipalities
The Alberta government, in the face of mounting criticism, says it will make changes to a bill that gives Premier Danielle Smith and her cabinet unfettered power to overturn local bylaws and fire mayors and councillors.

Alberta government to amend bill granting it sweeping powers over municipalities

Alberta announces expansion of newborn screening program, research for women's health

Alberta announces expansion of newborn screening program, research for women's health
Alberta is expanding the screening process for all newborns in the province and supporting more research related to women's health.  

Alberta announces expansion of newborn screening program, research for women's health

Canada will send $65M for humanitarian assistance and economic development to Lebanon

Canada will send $65M for humanitarian assistance and economic development to Lebanon
International Development Minister Ahmed Hussen announced a $65-million aid package for Lebanon today. 

Canada will send $65M for humanitarian assistance and economic development to Lebanon

Winnipeg judge rules trial of serial killer to start with jury

Winnipeg judge rules trial of serial killer to start with jury
A judge has decided the trial of a man accused of killing four women in Winnipeg will still be heard by a jury.

Winnipeg judge rules trial of serial killer to start with jury

Five things to know about foreign interference from the inquiry's interim report

Five things to know about foreign interference from the inquiry's interim report
After holding public hearings and gathering evidence in private, inquiry commissioner Marie-Josée Hogue has released an interim report into foreign interference in Canada's last two general elections.

Five things to know about foreign interference from the inquiry's interim report

Princess Anne to take part in B.C. ceremony bringing new ship into Pacific fleet

Princess Anne to take part in B.C. ceremony bringing new ship into Pacific fleet
The first Arctic and Offshore Patrol Vessel for Canada's Pacific fleet will officially be commissioned in a ceremony featuring Princess Anne, the sister of King Charles.

Princess Anne to take part in B.C. ceremony bringing new ship into Pacific fleet