Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Total solar eclipse set to bring darkness and celestial awe to Canadian crowds

Total solar eclipse set to bring darkness and celestial awe to Canadian crowds
Crowds from near and far, united in celestial anticipation, have started to gather along the Canadian path of the total solar eclipse.  The path of totality, where the sun goes directly behind the moon, will first cross through southwestern Ontario around 3:15 p.m. Monday and move east through Quebec and Atlantic Canada before exiting Newfoundland around 3:45 p.m. eastern time.

Total solar eclipse set to bring darkness and celestial awe to Canadian crowds

Arrest made in death of Vancouver woman

Arrest made in death of Vancouver woman
Police in Vancouver say they've made an arrest in the death of a 49-year-old woman found on a residential street in South Vancouver last week.  The woman was discovered unresponsive near Rosemont Drive and East 57th Avenue, near the Fraserview Golf Course, just after 6 a-m on Wednesday.

Arrest made in death of Vancouver woman

RCMP in Coquitlam search for vehicle submerged in Fraser River

RCMP in Coquitlam search for vehicle submerged in Fraser River
Police in Metro Vancouver say an underwater recovery team is working to locate a vehicle submerged in the Fraser River and determine whether it was occupied. Coquitlam RCMP say they received a report of a vehicle in the water by the boat launch at Maquabeak Park, near the Port Mann Bridge, shortly after 12:15 a.m. on Saturday.

RCMP in Coquitlam search for vehicle submerged in Fraser River

Two teens killed in head-on crash in northern B.C., RCMP seek information

Two teens killed in head-on crash in northern B.C., RCMP seek information
Mounties in northern British Columbia are asking for any information about a head-on crash that killed two teenagers and seriously injured another man. A statement from RCMP in Chetwynd, northeast of Prince George, says officers responded to the crash along Highway 97 just after midnight on Sunday.

Two teens killed in head-on crash in northern B.C., RCMP seek information

Highway 3 crash kills both drivers

Highway 3 crash kills both drivers
Mounties in southeastern B-C say a head-on crash on Highway 3 has killed the drivers in both vehicles.  It happened near the community of Kitchener, northeast of Creston, yesterday afternoon when one vehicle crossed the centre line. 

Highway 3 crash kills both drivers

Spike in jobless rate: Stat Can

Spike in jobless rate: Stat Can
While Canada’s jobless rate jumped to 6.1 per cent in March, BC gained more jobs.  BC and Ontario were the only two provinces to report an increase in jobs last month, with 66-hundred more people employed in this province. 

Spike in jobless rate: Stat Can