Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

NDP MPs Charlie Angus, Carol Hughes, Rachel Blaney opt against seeking re-election

NDP MPs Charlie Angus, Carol Hughes, Rachel Blaney opt against seeking re-election
NDP MPs Carol Hughes and Rachel Blaney have joined Charlie Angus in deciding that they won't run again in the next federal election. The federal New Democrats delivered the news in a joint announcement, saying all three want more family time after years of dedicated public service.

NDP MPs Charlie Angus, Carol Hughes, Rachel Blaney opt against seeking re-election

Airstrikes on aid workers don't 'just happen,' Trudeau says after Netanyahu comments

Airstrikes on aid workers don't 'just happen,' Trudeau says after Netanyahu comments
Attacks on aid workers are not just something that happens in war, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Thursday, slamming Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's defence of a deadly airstrike on aid workers in central Gaza on April 1. Canadian Army veteran Jacob Flickinger, 33, was among those killed while delivering food aid for World Central Kitchen.

Airstrikes on aid workers don't 'just happen,' Trudeau says after Netanyahu comments

Federal government to launch $1.5B fund to protect affordable rentals

Federal government to launch $1.5B fund to protect affordable rentals
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says a new $1.5-billion housing fund will help non-profit organizations acquire more rental units across Canada and make sure they remain affordable.  The new Canada Rental Protection Fund will be included in the upcoming federal budget, to be tabled on April 16. 

Federal government to launch $1.5B fund to protect affordable rentals

Surrey man convicted of child exploitation

Surrey man convicted of child exploitation
A Surrey man has been sentenced to a conditional 18-month term to be served in the community after he was convicted of child exploitation. B-C Mounties say 34-year-old Joel Andy Daigle was identified by U-S police as a member of an international online group linked to trafficking pornography.

Surrey man convicted of child exploitation

April is Sikh Heritage Month and Darpan is launching Sikhi Saturdays

April is Sikh Heritage Month and Darpan is launching Sikhi Saturdays
Happy Sikh Heritage Month!! April is Sikh Heritage Month, which is an important time to celebrate and recognize the rich cultural contributions of the Sikh community in BC.

April is Sikh Heritage Month and Darpan is launching Sikhi Saturdays

Vancouver mayor disappointed by new location for overdose prevention site

Vancouver mayor disappointed by new location for overdose prevention site
The mayor of Vancouver says the city is disappointed about the new location of an overdose prevention site in the downtown core. Ken Sim says in a news release that the city was not consulted on the relocation of Thomus Donaghy OPS to Howe Street, and the site should have been moved to the nearby St. Paul’s Hospital instead.

Vancouver mayor disappointed by new location for overdose prevention site