Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

No tsunami danger to B.C. after earthquake in Taiwan, officials say

No tsunami danger to B.C. after earthquake in Taiwan, officials say
There appears to be no tsunami threat to the Pacific coastal areas of North America following a strong earthquake in Taiwan. The U.S. National Tsunami Warning Center says no tsunami is expected in B.C., Alaska, California, Oregon or Washington state.

No tsunami danger to B.C. after earthquake in Taiwan, officials say

B.C. to ban some 'personal use' evictions, stop rent increases over new children

B.C. to ban some 'personal use' evictions, stop rent increases over new children
The British Columbia government is changing rental laws to stop bad-faith evictions, protect families who have had a child and help landlords with problematic tenants.  Premier David Eby said the government is seeing more landlords invoke the "personal use" rule, which allows them or their family to move into a unit, as an excuse to evict long-term tenants paying lower rents.

B.C. to ban some 'personal use' evictions, stop rent increases over new children

B.C. records net loss of more than 8,600 in interprovincial migration in 2023

B.C. records net loss of more than 8,600 in interprovincial migration in 2023
British Columbia had more people moving out to other provinces in 2023 than those coming in the opposite direction for the first time in more than a decade, according to figures from Statistics Canada. The agency says B.C. recorded a net loss of 8,624 people in interprovincial migration last year, something that hasn't happened since 2012.  

B.C. records net loss of more than 8,600 in interprovincial migration in 2023

Ottawa to launch $6B infrastructure fund to help build homes — with strings attached

Ottawa to launch $6B infrastructure fund to help build homes — with strings attached
The upcoming federal budget will include a $6-billion infrastructure fund to support homebuilding as well as a $400 million top-up to the housing accelerator fund, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Tuesday.

Ottawa to launch $6B infrastructure fund to help build homes — with strings attached

Canada condemns Israeli strike on aid workers in Gaza, demands investigation

Canada condemns Israeli strike on aid workers in Gaza, demands investigation
Canada condemned an Israeli airstrike that killed seven aid workers in the Gaza Strip on Monday and is demanding a full investigation. The World Central Kitchen said a dual Canadian-American citizen, as well as three British nationals, an Australian, a Polish national and a Palestinian were delivering food that had arrived by sea when they were struck Monday evening.

Canada condemns Israeli strike on aid workers in Gaza, demands investigation

'It just needs to stop': Carbon price protesters slow traffic on Trans-Canada Highway

'It just needs to stop': Carbon price protesters slow traffic on Trans-Canada Highway
Hundreds of protesters, many waving Canadian and Alberta flags and holding "axe the tax" signs, blocked the major highway down to a single lane. RCMP officers were on hand to monitor the event.

'It just needs to stop': Carbon price protesters slow traffic on Trans-Canada Highway