Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

No April Fool's joke, lots going up on April 1st

No April Fool's joke, lots going up on April 1st
Today marks the first day of changes to multiple taxes and other costs, including the national price on pollution, the federal excise tax on alcohol and the cost to ride some B-C ferries. Across Canada the added carbon price for gasoline will now be 17.6 cents per litre, up 3.3 cents per litre from before.

No April Fool's joke, lots going up on April 1st

Fatal stabbing in Victoria

Fatal stabbing in Victoria
Police in Victoria are investigating after one person was stabbed to death and a second was seriously injured Sunday morning. The department says officers were called to the 700-block of Pandora Avenue at approximately 4 a.m. and found the body of a man.  

Fatal stabbing in Victoria

2 injured in Surrey hit and run

2 injured in Surrey hit and run
Two people were injured in separate hit-and-run crashes early Sunday in Surrey. Police say the first crash involved a Dodge Challenger and a Tesla and the occupants of the Challenger fled the scene on foot.   

2 injured in Surrey hit and run

Targeted shooting in Downtown Vancouver

Targeted shooting in Downtown Vancouver
Police say a shooting in downtown Vancouver Saturday night appears to have been targeted. The city's police department says multiple witnesses began calling 9-1-1 around 5:40 p-m, after shots were fired near Richards and Robson streets.

Targeted shooting in Downtown Vancouver

Ammo seized in Port Alberni

Ammo seized in Port Alberni
Police say a 48-year-old man is facing several charges after officers seized several guns, thousands of rounds of ammunition and homemade explosive devices from a home in Port Alberni. Mounties carried out a controlled detonation of a device at the home yesterday afternoon. 

Ammo seized in Port Alberni

Driver allegedly spits on cyclist & strikes them with their vehicle

Driver allegedly spits on cyclist & strikes them with their vehicle
Victoria police say they are looking for a driver who allegedly spat on a cyclist and struck them with their vehicle. They say the cyclist was at an intersection the afternoon of March 17th when the driver of a black S-U-V spat at them through their open window.

Driver allegedly spits on cyclist & strikes them with their vehicle