Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

On pre-budget charm offensive, Trudeau announces plans to expand $10-a-day child care

On pre-budget charm offensive, Trudeau announces plans to expand $10-a-day child care
The federal government's pre-budget charm offensive is back for a second straight day — this time aimed at parents and child care providers. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the government plans to provide more than $1 billion in low-cost loans, grants and student loan forgiveness to expand child care across Canada. 

On pre-budget charm offensive, Trudeau announces plans to expand $10-a-day child care

'We won't forget': How some Muslims view Poilievre's stance on Israel-Hamas war

'We won't forget': How some Muslims view Poilievre's stance on Israel-Hamas war
A spokesman for a regional Muslim advocacy group says Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre's stance on the Israel-Hamas war could complicate his party's relationship with Muslim Canadians. Nawaz Tahir of the Hikma Public Affairs Council in London, Ont., met Poilievre during the leader's outreach efforts in southwestern Ontario last summer. 

'We won't forget': How some Muslims view Poilievre's stance on Israel-Hamas war

Chief electoral officer expresses confidence in integrity of last two elections

Chief electoral officer expresses confidence in integrity of last two elections
Canada's chief electoral officer, Stéphane Perrault, is telling a federal inquiry he has confidence in the integrity of the last two general elections with respect to his mandate. As head of Elections Canada, Perrault is responsible for ensuring Canadians can exercise their democratic rights to vote and be a candidate.  

Chief electoral officer expresses confidence in integrity of last two elections

ICBC tells drivers to exercise caution this Easter long weekend

ICBC tells drivers to exercise caution this Easter long weekend
ICBC says drivers should use extra caution on the roads this upcoming long weekend. The insurance corporation says weather can be unpredictable around Easter, and overlap with the holiday weekend and spring break means roads will be likely packed with road trippers and families on vacation.  

ICBC tells drivers to exercise caution this Easter long weekend

Crypto scams rampant in BC

Crypto scams rampant in BC
The B-C Securities Commission says it's teaming up with the R-C-M-P, Vancouver police, the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre and the U-S Secret Service to sound the alarm about escalating scams targeting unsuspecting people and their money. 

Crypto scams rampant in BC

Canada Post releases new stamp celebrating Muslim festival

Canada Post releases new stamp celebrating Muslim festival
The Crown corporation says Canadians can use the stamps to send greetings ahead of Eid al-Fitr, a four-day Islamic festival in April that follows Ramadan, a holy month many Muslims spend fasting from sunrise to sunset and volunteering for charities.

Canada Post releases new stamp celebrating Muslim festival