Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Rescuers in B.C. hope AI will help reunite orphaned whale with its family

Rescuers in B.C. hope AI will help reunite orphaned whale with its family
The B.C.-based whale research group Bay Cetology is offering access to its online AI-assisted photo database to local photographers and tour operators as part of efforts to track the whale's relatives, giving the calf a chance to connect with its pod. 

Rescuers in B.C. hope AI will help reunite orphaned whale with its family

BC man sentenced to life imprisonment for murder at a grow-op

BC man sentenced to life imprisonment for murder at a grow-op
A British Columbia man has been sentenced to life in prison for a murder at a Mission grow-op. In a decision posted online last week, Van Chau Nguyen pleaded guilty to the second-degree murder of Vien Bui, who died in August of 2020.  

BC man sentenced to life imprisonment for murder at a grow-op

Unstable nearby construction site forces evacuation of apartment in Kelowna

Unstable nearby construction site forces evacuation of apartment in Kelowna
More than 80 residents of a low-income apartment building in Kelowna, B.C., have been told they need to leave over a "significant" risk to life and safety. A statement from BC Housing says the 84 people who live in Hadgraft Wilson Place will have to move out by Tuesday due to concerns over construction activity at a nearby University of British Columbia-Okanagan site.  

Unstable nearby construction site forces evacuation of apartment in Kelowna

Canada's Haiti airlift expands to include relatives, residents and charter flight

Canada's Haiti airlift expands to include relatives, residents and charter flight
Canada is expanding its evacuation of citizens from Haiti to include relatives and Canadian permanent residents, starting Wednesday if conditions allow. The government has also arranged for a charter flight for Canadians who pay a market rate to fly between the Dominican Republic and Montreal.

Canada's Haiti airlift expands to include relatives, residents and charter flight

Trudeau announces national school food program to feed 400,000 more kids per year

Trudeau announces national school food program to feed 400,000 more kids per year
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the upcoming federal budget will include a national school food program. Trudeau made the announcement in Toronto today with Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland and Families Minister Jenna Sudds as part of the Liberal government's pre-budget tour. 

Trudeau announces national school food program to feed 400,000 more kids per year

2 dead in Kelowna shooting

2 dead in Kelowna shooting
RCMP officers in Kelowna, B.C., are investigating after two bodies were found inside a local business following gunshots and a fire. A statement from the Mounties says they were called to the Adams Road area Wednesday afternoon after receiving a report of gunfire and a subsequent blaze at the building. 

2 dead in Kelowna shooting