Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Police 'deeply concerned' for infant allegedly taken by mother in Langley, B.C.

Police 'deeply concerned' for infant allegedly taken by mother in Langley, B.C.
RCMP say they're "deeply concerned" for the safety of an infant allegedly taken by his mother from a home in Langley, B.C.  Police set off an Amber Alert late Thursday after three-month-old Tyler Durocher was allegedly abducted from a home by his mother, 35-year-old Brianne Ford. 

Police 'deeply concerned' for infant allegedly taken by mother in Langley, B.C.

177 die in toxic drug deaths

177 die in toxic drug deaths
The BC Coroners Service says 177 people died in February due to "toxic, unregulated drugs." The service says at least 175 people have died because of the toxic drug supply in each of the last 20 consecutive months.

177 die in toxic drug deaths

Added protection for cyclists in BC

Added protection for cyclists in BC
BC's transportation ministry says it is implementing a new law that will give cyclists and pedestrians added protection on roads.  It says the changes, which come into effect on June 3rd, establish a new minimum distance of one metre that drivers must maintain when passing cyclists and other so-called vulnerable road users.

Added protection for cyclists in BC

Canadian missing in aftermath of Taiwan earthquake found safe

Canadian missing in aftermath of Taiwan earthquake found safe
Taiwan's Central News Agency says a Canadian missing after this week's powerful earthquake on the island's east coast has been found safe. The partially government-funded news agency, citing information from the Central Emergency Operation Center, says the Canadian man is now camped near a hotel in Taiwan's Taroko National Park.

Canadian missing in aftermath of Taiwan earthquake found safe

Trudeau announces $600 million in loans, funding to jump-start homebuilding, rentals

Trudeau announces $600 million in loans, funding to jump-start homebuilding, rentals
The federal Liberal government plans a $600-million package of loans and funding to help make it easier and cheaper to build homes for owners and renters. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is making the announcement in Calgary, just the latest in a string of pre-budget announcements aimed at winning over younger voters.

Trudeau announces $600 million in loans, funding to jump-start homebuilding, rentals

$7M settlement with B.C. First Nation: Feds

$7M settlement with B.C. First Nation: Feds
The federal government and a British Columbia First Nation have reached a $7-million settlement over a lumber grievance that dates back to 1942. Crown-Indigenous Relations Minister Gary Anandasangaree and Chief Joe Pierre Jr. announced the settlement Thursday, where Canada will pay the cash to compensate the First Nation for its economic losses from the timber surrender.   

$7M settlement with B.C. First Nation: Feds