Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Selina Robinson quits B.C. NDP, citing antisemitism in caucus

Selina Robinson quits B.C. NDP, citing antisemitism in caucus
Former British Columbia cabinet minister Selina Robinson has quit the NDP, citing antisemitism in the ruling party's caucus. Robinson, who is Jewish, says she can no longer remain in the party because it is not properly addressing antisemitism in the province or among her former colleagues.

Selina Robinson quits B.C. NDP, citing antisemitism in caucus

Robots and drones to work in Kelowna

Robots and drones to work in Kelowna
Drones and robots will be put to work in the orchards of Kelowna this spring as part of a pilot project to promote what the equipment maker calls "precision farming."  The city is collaborating with B.C. company InDro Robotics to use its aerial drones and ground-roving industrial robots to patrol 80 hectares of apple, pear, and cherry trees to monitor fruit health and growth. 

Robots and drones to work in Kelowna

Port Moody police get digital crisis tool for mental health, addiction calls

Port Moody police get digital crisis tool for mental health, addiction calls
Police officers in Port Moody, B.C., are about to start using a digital public safety system to de-escalate and navigate situations that involve mental health and addiction, Mike Farnworth, solicitor general and public safety minister, said Wednesday. 

Port Moody police get digital crisis tool for mental health, addiction calls

BOC holds key interest rate at 5%

BOC holds key interest rate at 5%
Bank of Canada governor Tiff Macklem says we've come a long way in our fight against high inflation but it's still too soon to start lowering interest rates. The central bank has done as expected and kept its key interest rate steady at five per cent.

BOC holds key interest rate at 5%

'I'm too far away': Five Canadians dead in plane that crashed near downtown Nashville

'I'm too far away': Five Canadians dead in plane that crashed near downtown Nashville
The pilot of a single-engine plane that crashed near downtown Nashville told air traffic controllers he could see the runway they were clearing for an emergency landing. But he said he couldn’t reach it. The pilot had another adult and three children on board, National Transportation Safety Board investigator Aaron McCarter said at a Tuesday news conference. He said the five were Canadian citizens and the agency is working with the Canadian government to determine their identities. 

'I'm too far away': Five Canadians dead in plane that crashed near downtown Nashville

Re-arrest for Vancouver sex offender

Re-arrest for Vancouver sex offender
Vancouver police say a high-risk sex offender who was serving a five-year long-term supervision order was rearrested last week. Police had issued a public warning on February 26th that Skylar Wayne Pelletier had been released from custody and was living in Vancouver. The 24-year-old was previously convicted of sexual assault, assault, and break and enter.

Re-arrest for Vancouver sex offender