Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Surrey RCMP at scene of collision with natural gas leak

Surrey RCMP at scene of collision with natural gas leak
Surrey RCMP is at the scene of a motor vehicle collision in the area of 66th Avenue and 128 Street, where one vehicle has hit a natural gas meter.  Fortis BC has been advised, and the immediate area is being evacuated as a precaution until crews can arrive to make repairs. 

Surrey RCMP at scene of collision with natural gas leak

Overdose toll hit 198 in January, down 10 percent but over 6 deaths a day

Overdose toll hit 198 in January, down 10 percent but over 6 deaths a day
The overdose death toll in January reached 198 people, down about 10 per cent from the same month last year, but still more than six deaths a day.  The B-C Coroners Service says the majority of those who died were male and the highest death rate was in north and central Vancouver Island and the northern Interior. 

Overdose toll hit 198 in January, down 10 percent but over 6 deaths a day

4 in hospital after 2 vehicle crash in Kelowna

4 in hospital after 2 vehicle crash in Kelowna
Four people are in hospital after a two-vehicle crash in Kelowna. R-C-M-P say it happened last night on Highway 33 when Toyota collided with a Dodge.  The Mounties say all four were taken to hospital in critical condition.

4 in hospital after 2 vehicle crash in Kelowna

Bank card scam in Burnaby

Bank card scam in Burnaby
Mounties are warning of the latest bank card scam that has taken in a few people in Burnaby. Police say they've had five reports of people getting calls from someone saying their bank or credit card had been compromised.   

Bank card scam in Burnaby

Female dead in Sooke

Female dead in Sooke
Police in Sooke say a female has died after being struck by a vehicle. R-C-M-P say the incident happened at about 5:30 this morning. Police say emergency responders attempted to save the woman, but she didn't survive.

Female dead in Sooke

Assault of teenage boy in park

Assault of teenage boy in park
Mounties in North Vancouver are probing the alleged sexual assault of a teenage boy inside a public park last week. Investigators with North Vancouver R-C-M-P say the suspect approached the teen from behind and sexually assaulted the youth at the Inter River Park washroom.  

Assault of teenage boy in park