Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

WorkSafeBC says no injuries in fourth crane accident in Metro Vancouver

WorkSafeBC says no injuries in fourth crane accident in Metro Vancouver
There has been another crane accident in Metro Vancouver, in what B.C.'s workers' safety agency says is the fourth such incident this year.  WorkSafeBC says the latest incident happened Monday at a work site in Vancouver. 

WorkSafeBC says no injuries in fourth crane accident in Metro Vancouver

Online scams at BC Lotto

Online scams at BC Lotto
The British Columbia Lottery Corporation has issued a warning about a series of scams it says are circulating online, imitating casinos in the province. The bulletin says the scams involve fraudulent posts and advertisements on social media platforms, such as Facebook and Instagram, which deceive people into entering their financial details on illegitimate websites.  

Online scams at BC Lotto

Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland to present Liberals' federal budget on April 16

Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland to present Liberals' federal budget on April 16
Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland will present the federal budget on April 16, as cost-of-living issues continue to dominate Canadian politics. The spending plan is coming at a time when high interest rates are putting a damper on the economy and ramping up fiscal pressure on the Liberal government.  

Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland to present Liberals' federal budget on April 16

One measles case reported in B.C. as officials urge vaccination before travel

One measles case reported in B.C. as officials urge vaccination before travel
Measles outbreaks internationally have health officials in British Columbia joining Canada's top doctor in encouraging people to get vaccinated before travelling abroad during spring break. One case of measles was reported in B.C. over the weekend, according to a joint bulletin issued Monday by the provincial government, the BC Centre for Disease Control and the provincial health officer. 

One measles case reported in B.C. as officials urge vaccination before travel

1 in hospital in Burnaby crash

1 in hospital in Burnaby crash
Police in Burnaby say an early morning car crash on Imperial Street has left one person in hospital in critical condition.  Burnaby R-C-M-P say the crash happened around 1:30 a-m, when a vehicle with a driver and two passengers hit a parked semi-truck. 

1 in hospital in Burnaby crash

Fire that gutted Metro Vancouver school caused by humans, police say

Fire that gutted Metro Vancouver school caused by humans, police say
Police say they believe a fire last October that destroyed an elementary school in Port Coquitlam, B.C., was human caused. Coquitlam RCMP say the investigators are now asking those responsible or people who may know who is responsible to come forward and contact police.

Fire that gutted Metro Vancouver school caused by humans, police say