Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Bell CEO, other execs called to committee to testify over recent job cuts

Bell CEO, other execs called to committee to testify over recent job cuts
Members of Parliament have invited several top executives from BCE Inc. and Bell Canada to testify later this month about the company's decision to cut about nine per cent of its workforce this year.  The House of Commons heritage committee has agreed to invite BCE Inc. CEO Mirko Bibic to address the cuts, which include impacts on newsrooms across the country. 

Bell CEO, other execs called to committee to testify over recent job cuts

B.C. eyes community, non-profit, underused lands to build affordable rental units

B.C. eyes community, non-profit, underused lands to build affordable rental units
The New Democrat government's almost $3 billion BC Builds program will target property owned by governments, communities and non-profits, and provide low-cost financing to fast-track affordable rental developments on underutilized lands across B.C., he said.  

B.C. eyes community, non-profit, underused lands to build affordable rental units

B.C. police seize $11M worth of contraband cigarettes along with guns, drugs

B.C. police seize $11M worth of contraband cigarettes along with guns, drugs
Police in British Columbia say an investigation spanning several communities has led to the largest one-time seizure of contraband cigarettes in the province, with a retail value of $11 million, along with guns, ammunition and illegal drugs. A statement from the Combined Special Enforcement Unit says it received information last August prompting the investigation that expanded throughout B.C.'s Lower Mainland and southern Vancouver Island.  

B.C. police seize $11M worth of contraband cigarettes along with guns, drugs

44M to be pumped into transit for Burnaby

44M to be pumped into transit for Burnaby
A 44-million-dollar project aims to improve operations at the Burnaby transit centre.  A statement from Infrastructure Canada says the joint funding from the federal government and TransLink will support up to 130 additional buses in the fast-growing Metro Vancouver community.

44M to be pumped into transit for Burnaby

Langley mayor wants Province to invest in school expansion in Langley to combat overcrowding

Langley mayor wants Province to invest in school expansion in Langley to combat overcrowding
Langley City council is asking the B-C government to invest in expanding schools to address overcrowding as the community grows. A statement from Mayor Nathan Pachal says enrolment has already surpassed capacity, and the expected arrival of the SkyTrain in 2028 along with new provincial housing requirements will bring significantly more students over the next decade.

Langley mayor wants Province to invest in school expansion in Langley to combat overcrowding

2 Surrey crashes land pedestrians in hospital

2 Surrey crashes land pedestrians in hospital
Police in Surrey say they're investigating two crashes that sent pedestrians to hospital with serious injuries just 90 minutes apart last night. In the first incident, R-C-M-P say a man in his 40s was taken to hospital in critical condition after being hit by a semi-truck whose driver was co-operating with police.

2 Surrey crashes land pedestrians in hospital