Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Indian-origin man wanted in connection with father's murder in Canada

Indian-origin man wanted in connection with father's murder in Canada
Police are on the lookout for a 22-year-old Indian-origin son, who fled after allegedly murdering his father, at their home in Canada's Ontario province. Sukhaj Cheema-Singh is wanted for first-degree murder after 56-year-old Kuldip Singh was found with 'severe injuries' at his Stoney Creek home in Hamilton on Saturday night.

Indian-origin man wanted in connection with father's murder in Canada

Jordan's King Abdullah II to visit Canada on Wednesday

Jordan's King Abdullah II to visit Canada on Wednesday
The King of Jordan will visit Canada later this week and meet with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. The Prime Minister's Office issued a news release Sunday saying King Abdullah II will be in Ottawa on Wednesday.  

Jordan's King Abdullah II to visit Canada on Wednesday

Contract rules disregarded in costly development of ArriveCan app: auditor general

Contract rules disregarded in costly development of ArriveCan app: auditor general
Disregarded policies and a failure of management led to the development of the inordinately costly and much-maligned ArriveCan app, an investigation by Canada's auditor general has found.  The federal government launched the app in April 2020 as a way to track health and contact information for people entering Canada during the COVID-19 pandemic, and to digitize customs and immigration declarations.  

Contract rules disregarded in costly development of ArriveCan app: auditor general

Rainfall warning for Metro Vancouver

Rainfall warning for Metro Vancouver
Environment Canada has issued a rainfall warning in Metro Vancouver. It says a moist Pacific frontal system is expected to bring about 55 millimeters of rain starting Sunday and continuing overnight, before easing this morning. 

Rainfall warning for Metro Vancouver

Body found in Burnaby

Body found in Burnaby
Mounties in Burnaby say they have found the body of a 46-year-old man who went missing earlier this month. They say the public appeal for help to find the man was issued on February 1st. The R-C-M-P say investigators do not believe the death is suspicious.

Body found in Burnaby

Former MP Raj Grewal sues for damages following acquittal last year

Former MP Raj Grewal sues for damages following acquittal last year
Former Liberal MP Raj Grewal is seeking millions of dollars in damages from the RCMP and the Ontario attorney general after being acquitted of using his political office for personal gain. In a statement of claim filed in Ontario Superior Court, Grewal's counsel alleges the Mounties were negligent in their investigation and that the Crown breached his right to a fair trial by unreasonably pursuing the prosecution.

Former MP Raj Grewal sues for damages following acquittal last year