Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Judge rejects bid to bar father of B.C. murder victim from Ibrahim Ali proceedings

Judge rejects bid to bar father of B.C. murder victim from Ibrahim Ali proceedings
The father of a murdered 13-year-old girl may continue listening in remotely to post-trial proceedings, a British Columbia Supreme Court judge ruled, rejecting an application by the convicted killer's lawyers who said they feared for their safety. The girl was found dead in a Metro Vancouver park in 2017, and a jury found Ibrahim Ali guilty of her first-degree murder last December.

Judge rejects bid to bar father of B.C. murder victim from Ibrahim Ali proceedings

Port Moody police officer attacked

Port Moody police officer attacked
A driver has been arrested in Port Moody after police say he tried to grab an officer's sidearm during a sobriety check. Port Moody police say the incident happened last night in the 26-hundred block of Saint Johns Street, when officers made a traffic stop to check on the sobriety of a driver.

Port Moody police officer attacked

Cyclist killed in hit and run

Cyclist killed in hit and run
Mounties say they're searching for a suspect after a cyclist was killed in a hit-and-run crash on Vancouver Island. The Comox Valley R-C-M-P say a passerby found the injured male cyclist late last night near a road in Courtenay, and called 9-1-1, but the cyclist later died in hospital. 

Cyclist killed in hit and run

Vancouver Chinatown's Lunar New Year parade bars two progressive, LGBTQ+ groups

Vancouver Chinatown's Lunar New Year parade bars two progressive, LGBTQ+ groups
Two progressive and LGBTQ+ groups have been rejected from Vancouver's Lunar New Year parade in Chinatown this weekend, with march organizers telling one that it was due to a ban on "political activism." Sunday's Spring Festival Parade in Vancouver is celebrating its 50th anniversary and marks the year of the dragon, which starts on Saturday.

Vancouver Chinatown's Lunar New Year parade bars two progressive, LGBTQ+ groups

BoC expected to take its time with interest rate cuts after January's job gain

BoC expected to take its time with interest rate cuts after January's job gain
The Bank of Canada will be in no rush to cut interest rates after Statistics Canada reported a larger-than-expected employment gain last month, economists say. The federal agency's labour force survey released Friday said the economy added 37,000 jobs in January after several months of relatively no change in employment. Canada’s unemployment rate fell to 5.7 per cent last month, marking the first decline since December 2022.

BoC expected to take its time with interest rate cuts after January's job gain

Trudeau says he's furious over Bell Media layoffs, calling it a 'garbage decision'

Trudeau says he's furious over Bell Media layoffs, calling it a 'garbage decision'
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is trash-talking BCE Inc.'s widespread layoffs, calling the cuts a "garbage decision." Trudeau says he's furious over Bell Media's decision to end multiple television newscasts and that the corporation should know better.  

Trudeau says he's furious over Bell Media layoffs, calling it a 'garbage decision'