Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Fraser announces $176 million in housing deals with more than 60 rural communities

Fraser announces $176 million in housing deals with more than 60 rural communities
The federal government will roll out more than 60 housing agreements with small and rural communities across the country over the next few weeks, Housing Minister Sean Fraser announced Tuesday. Fraser said in a news conference that the deals are worth $176 million and will help build more than 50,000 housing units over the next decade.  

Fraser announces $176 million in housing deals with more than 60 rural communities

Coquitlam shooting lands 2 in hospital

Coquitlam shooting lands 2 in hospital
Police in Coquitlam say they're investigating a shooting late Sunday night that injured two people in a parking lot.  Mounties say they went to the lot near Barnet Highway and Pinetree Way just before midnight on February 11th. 

Coquitlam shooting lands 2 in hospital

One dead in White Rock blaze

One dead in White Rock blaze
White Rock fire officials say one person is dead after a blaze broke out in an apartment unit. Firefighters were called to the building over the weekend and contained the blaze to one apartment, but there was water and smoke damage in other areas.

One dead in White Rock blaze

B.C. and Ottawa announce $733M in federal health funding for province's seniors

B.C. and Ottawa announce $733M in federal health funding for province's seniors
British Columbia's seniors advocate welcomes newly announced federal funding for seniors' health care, and says she's particularly excited about the promise to support seniors at home. Isobel Mackenzie said she also hopes some of that money is allocated to cover home-support payments for about 70 per cent of B.C. seniors who don't qualify for the Guaranteed Income Supplement.

B.C. and Ottawa announce $733M in federal health funding for province's seniors

Man charged with first-degree murder in B.C. hit-and-run

Man charged with first-degree murder in B.C. hit-and-run
Police on Vancouver Island have arrested and charged a man with first-degree murder in the hit-and-run death of a cyclist last week. Comox Valley RCMP say that 45-year-old Steven Squires of Cumberland, B.C., has also been charged with failure to stop after an accident causing death and remains in custody. 

Man charged with first-degree murder in B.C. hit-and-run

Charities under strain as foreign students 'struggle' in Canada: Report

Charities under strain as foreign students 'struggle' in Canada: Report
With nearly 500,000 international students living in the Greater Toronto Area, Khalsa Aid's national director Jindi Singh says charities are taking on more than their fair share of the load, Ottawa-based CBC news channel reported.

Charities under strain as foreign students 'struggle' in Canada: Report