Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Vancouver celebrates Year of the Dragon at 50th Chinatown Spring Festival

Vancouver celebrates Year of the Dragon at 50th Chinatown Spring Festival
Dragons danced to the beat of drums through the streets of Vancouver's historic Chinatown neighbourhood Sunday morning. The spectacle was part of the 50th Anniversary of the Chinatown Spring Festival Parade. The procession began at 11 a.m. at the newly refurbished Millennium Gate and thousands lined the 1.3 kilometre route to watch.

Vancouver celebrates Year of the Dragon at 50th Chinatown Spring Festival

RCMP locate vehicle involved in fatal hit and run in Courtenay

RCMP locate vehicle involved in fatal hit and run in Courtenay
Mounties in British Columbia's Comox Valley say they have found the vehicle that was involved in a fatal hit and run earlier this week. They say officers responded to a report of an injured cyclist around 11 p.m. Thursday on the Comox Valley Parkway near Minto Road in Courtenay. Police say paramedics and firefighters also attended the scene and provided emergency first aid to the man, but he later died of his injuries in hospital. 

RCMP locate vehicle involved in fatal hit and run in Courtenay

Judge overturns convictions of B.C. woman, accused of coughing on grocery worker

Judge overturns convictions of B.C. woman, accused of coughing on grocery worker
A British Columbia woman who was accused of deliberately coughing in the direction of a grocery store worker early in the COVID-19 pandemic has had her convictions for assault and causing a disturbance overturned. A B.C. Supreme Court judge ruled on Thursday that Kimberly Woolman should have been allowed to call a character witness in her 2022 trial.  

Judge overturns convictions of B.C. woman, accused of coughing on grocery worker

Woman pleads guilty in Inuit identity fraud case, charges dropped against daughters

Woman pleads guilty in Inuit identity fraud case, charges dropped against daughters
A Toronto woman pleaded guilty Friday in an Inuit identity fraud case as charges against her twin daughters were dropped. Karima Manji, 59, and her 25-year-old daughters, Amira and Nadya Gill, had faced charges of fraud over $5,000.

Woman pleads guilty in Inuit identity fraud case, charges dropped against daughters

Canadians won't be fooled by Putin propaganda on Ukraine, Trudeau says

Canadians won't be fooled by Putin propaganda on Ukraine, Trudeau says
Canadians are too smart to fall for Russian propaganda about the war in Ukraine, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Friday.  Trudeau made the remark after he was asked about Russian President Vladimir Putin's recent interview with Tucker Carlson. 

Canadians won't be fooled by Putin propaganda on Ukraine, Trudeau says

Canada Post aims to increase price of stamps; changes would take effect in May

Canada Post aims to increase price of stamps; changes would take effect in May
Canada Post is aiming to raise the cost of stamps by seven cents, to 99 cents, for stamps purchased in a booklet, coil or pane, which it says account for the majority of sales. The price of stamps purchased individually would go up to $1.15 from $1.07 for a domestic letter.

Canada Post aims to increase price of stamps; changes would take effect in May