Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada watching for UN court decision on Israel and genocide, Trudeau says

Canada watching for UN court decision on Israel and genocide, Trudeau says
Canada supports the International Court of Justice and is "watching carefully" as it deliberates on an allegation of genocide against Israel, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Wednesday. But he would not indicate whether Canada agrees with the allegation, or even if Canada would recognize the court's ruling if it does find Israel to be guilty of genocide.    

Canada watching for UN court decision on Israel and genocide, Trudeau says

Driver hurt after car plunges from multi-storey parking lot at UBC

Driver hurt after car plunges from multi-storey parking lot at UBC
A driver has been rescued after their car plunged through a concrete wall in a multi-storey parking lot at the University of British Columbia. Matthew Trudeau with the Vancouver Fire Rescue Service says 10 emergency vehicles responded to a call to the campus around 9:30 a.m. Wednesday.

Driver hurt after car plunges from multi-storey parking lot at UBC

Immigration department says 144 Gazans on track to come to Canada, pending biometrics

Immigration department says 144 Gazans on track to come to Canada, pending biometrics
Ottawa has processed visa applications for 144 people in the Gaza Strip, putting them on track to be reunited with extended family members in Canada — as long as they can make it across the border for biometric screening and final approval.  Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada opened a program to offer temporary visas to as many as 1,000 people in the besieged Palestinian territory, if their relatives can support them in Canada. 

Immigration department says 144 Gazans on track to come to Canada, pending biometrics

Federal dental care program will exclude 4.4M uninsured Canadians: report

Federal dental care program will exclude 4.4M uninsured Canadians: report
A new report by the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives says millions of uninsured Canadians will be left out of the new federal dental program because their family income is too high. Enrolment began last month for a new federal benefits program, which was developed as a condition of a political pact between the Liberal government and the NDP.    

Federal dental care program will exclude 4.4M uninsured Canadians: report

Trudeau defends Jamaica trip as committee agrees to seek ethics watchdog's testimony

Trudeau defends Jamaica trip as committee agrees to seek ethics watchdog's testimony
Members of Parliament on the Commons ethics committee agreed to invite interim commissioner Konrad von Finckenstein to testify at the earliest opportunity once the House comes back from a winter break at the end of the month. 

Trudeau defends Jamaica trip as committee agrees to seek ethics watchdog's testimony

Man arrested and charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle

Man arrested and charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle
A man has been arrested and charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle after driving through a police traffic stop in Surrey. Surrey R-C-M-P say they responded on January 3rd to reports of a suspected impaired driver near the 13-thousand-900 block of Fraser Highway.    

Man arrested and charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle