Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Man convicted over hit-and-run crash that injured two B.C. police dog handlers

Man convicted over hit-and-run crash that injured two B.C. police dog handlers
Mounties say a 34-year-old man has been found guilty of four charges after a hit-and-run crash that injured two police dog service officers in 2019. Police say Jason Kirupakaran was convicted of two counts each of criminal negligence causing bodily harm and failing to stop after an accident causing bodily harm. 

Man convicted over hit-and-run crash that injured two B.C. police dog handlers

Crash southeast of Kamloops, B.C., claims 4 lives, 1 person injured

Crash southeast of Kamloops, B.C., claims 4 lives, 1 person injured
Police say four people are dead and one person is in hospital after a head-on crash on Highway 97 southeast of Kamloops, B.C., on Tuesday.  Vernon North Okanagan RCMP spokesman Chris Terleski says the collision occurred near the Monte Lake RV park around 9 a.m.  Police say the drivers of the vehicles were found dead at the scene along with two others, and one person was airlifted to hospital.   

Crash southeast of Kamloops, B.C., claims 4 lives, 1 person injured

Hate crimes, protests, police costs surge since Middle East war: Vancouver police

Hate crimes, protests, police costs surge since Middle East war: Vancouver police
Vancouver Police say the Israel-Hamas war has fuelled hate crimes in the city and sparked far more protests than usual, with policing for the events costing millions. Police say they investigated 265 reports of hate crimes in 2023, a 31-per-cent jump from the previous year, including those related to South Asian, LGBTQ+ and Jewish communities. 

Hate crimes, protests, police costs surge since Middle East war: Vancouver police

Attempted murder charge in Surrey shooting

Attempted murder charge in Surrey shooting
More charges have been laid in a shooting in Surrey last April where a Calgary man was initially charged with attempted murder. RCMP say they began working with police in Calgary shortly after a man was shot and injured in a home in the Newton neighbourhood. 

Attempted murder charge in Surrey shooting

BC Ferries picks Netherlands-based company to build four more hybrid-electric ships

BC Ferries picks Netherlands-based company to build four more hybrid-electric ships
BC Ferries has awarded a contract to build four new hybrid-electric vessels to be ready to sail by 2027. The ferry corporation says in a statement that the contract has gone to Netherlands-based Damen Shipyards Group, the same company that built its last six ferries in the same Island Class of double-ended hybrid ships.  

BC Ferries picks Netherlands-based company to build four more hybrid-electric ships

Notley says she'll step down from Alberta NDP helm to make way for fresh voices

Notley says she'll step down from Alberta NDP helm to make way for fresh voices
Former premier Rachel Notley, after almost a decade at the helm of Alberta’s NDP, is stepping down from the top job. Notley, the official Opposition leader, said a leadership race will be called and she will stay on as leader until a replacement is chosen.

Notley says she'll step down from Alberta NDP helm to make way for fresh voices