Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Council approves next stage of King George Boulevard BRT

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 May, 2026 02:16 PM
  • Council approves next stage of King George Boulevard BRT

On Monday, City Council voted to move Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) on King George Boulevard, one of the region’s busiest north-south corridors, into the full design stage.  

 “As the city grows and our roads become more congested, residents need more rapid transit now,” said Mayor Brenda Locke. “Council’s decision moves us closer to becoming one of the first cities in B.C. to deliver BRT — a fast, reliable, and high-capacity transit system connecting City Centre, Newton and South Surrey.” 

The King George Boulevard BRT will run from Surrey City Centre to Semiahmoo Town Centre along a 19‑kilometre corridor with 12 stations and dedicated bus lanes along most of the route. Public consultation conducted earlier this year by TransLink showed strong community support for the project, with 84 per cent of respondents saying it will improve transportation. 

"As Surrey continues to grow, we need transit solutions now that move more people efficiently and reliably," says TransLink CEO Kevin Quinn. "BRT is the best solution for King George Boulevard because it can be implemented quickly and cost-effectively to manage congestion, strengthen connections between town centres, and support the city's long-term growth." 

TransLink has selected Surrey to host a BRT pilot station near Holland Park and the King George SkyTrain Station. The pilot will test the station design in real-world conditions before broader rollout, including near-level boarding, real-time information, improved lighting, and weather protection, using existing bus service. 

Council’s decision to advance BRT is a major step toward building a more connected city and delivering a cost-effective sustainable transportation system that meets the needs of Surrey’s growing population.  

To learn more about the King George Boulevard BRT project, visit surrey.ca/BRT

MORE National ARTICLES

Teens face 1st degree murder charges in First Nations double homicide

Teens face 1st degree murder charges in First Nations double homicide
Prosecutors say two teens apprehended last week in connection with a double homicide in a First Nations community in northern Quebec are facing first-degree murder charges.

Teens face 1st degree murder charges in First Nations double homicide

Canadians sitting on $2 billion in uncashed federal cheques: documents

Canadians sitting on $2 billion in uncashed federal cheques: documents
Canadians have left some $2 billion in funds on the table by not cashing millions of paper cheques mailed out by federal government departments.

Canadians sitting on $2 billion in uncashed federal cheques: documents

Conservatives, Poilievre seek to carry convention momentum back into Parliament

Conservatives, Poilievre seek to carry convention momentum back into Parliament
Political analysts say the federal Conservatives and leader Pierre Poilievre have momentum coming off a unifying convention in Calgary but the party still has a hill to climb in Parliament to one-up Prime Minster Mark Carney and the Liberals.

Conservatives, Poilievre seek to carry convention momentum back into Parliament

Conservatives vote to keep Pierre Poilievre as leader after speech in Calgary

Conservatives vote to keep Pierre Poilievre as leader after speech in Calgary
Pierre Poilievre's position as Conservative leader was cemented Friday after 87.4 per cent of delegates voted in a mandatory leadership review to keep him at the helm of their party.

Conservatives vote to keep Pierre Poilievre as leader after speech in Calgary

Canada denied Jeffrey Epstein permission to visit B.C. in 2018: documents

Canada denied Jeffrey Epstein permission to visit B.C. in 2018: documents
The Canadian government denied convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein permission to enter the country in 2018 due to his criminal past, newly released U.S. government documents reveal.

Canada denied Jeffrey Epstein permission to visit B.C. in 2018: documents

Canadian man pleads guilty to sexually exploiting 100-plus girls in the United States

Canadian man pleads guilty to sexually exploiting 100-plus girls in the United States
A 40-year-old man from Toronto has pleaded guilty in the United States for sexually exploiting more than 100 children on social media.

Canadian man pleads guilty to sexually exploiting 100-plus girls in the United States