Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Council approves next stage of King George Boulevard BRT

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 May, 2026 02:16 PM
  • Council approves next stage of King George Boulevard BRT

On Monday, City Council voted to move Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) on King George Boulevard, one of the region’s busiest north-south corridors, into the full design stage.  

 “As the city grows and our roads become more congested, residents need more rapid transit now,” said Mayor Brenda Locke. “Council’s decision moves us closer to becoming one of the first cities in B.C. to deliver BRT — a fast, reliable, and high-capacity transit system connecting City Centre, Newton and South Surrey.” 

The King George Boulevard BRT will run from Surrey City Centre to Semiahmoo Town Centre along a 19‑kilometre corridor with 12 stations and dedicated bus lanes along most of the route. Public consultation conducted earlier this year by TransLink showed strong community support for the project, with 84 per cent of respondents saying it will improve transportation. 

"As Surrey continues to grow, we need transit solutions now that move more people efficiently and reliably," says TransLink CEO Kevin Quinn. "BRT is the best solution for King George Boulevard because it can be implemented quickly and cost-effectively to manage congestion, strengthen connections between town centres, and support the city's long-term growth." 

TransLink has selected Surrey to host a BRT pilot station near Holland Park and the King George SkyTrain Station. The pilot will test the station design in real-world conditions before broader rollout, including near-level boarding, real-time information, improved lighting, and weather protection, using existing bus service. 

Council’s decision to advance BRT is a major step toward building a more connected city and delivering a cost-effective sustainable transportation system that meets the needs of Surrey’s growing population.  

To learn more about the King George Boulevard BRT project, visit surrey.ca/BRT

MORE National ARTICLES

'Creeping snow drought': Canadian research shows less snowpack a concern

'Creeping snow drought': Canadian research shows less snowpack a concern
New research shows less snowpack in certain regions of Canada can have wide-ranging effects on everything from farms and wildlife to the broader economy. 

'Creeping snow drought': Canadian research shows less snowpack a concern

Poilievre prepares for leadership review as Conservatives gather in Calgary

Poilievre prepares for leadership review as Conservatives gather in Calgary
For the third time in just under a year, Pierre Poilievre's political fate will be in the hands of voters this Friday — though this time, it's a small group of partisan supporters who appear likely to give him another shot.

Poilievre prepares for leadership review as Conservatives gather in Calgary

StatCan says income and wealth gap grew wider in third quarter

StatCan says income and wealth gap grew wider in third quarter
The gap between the country's highest earning and wealthiest households and those at the bottom end grew in the third quarter of last year as strong financial market gains benefited the rich.

StatCan says income and wealth gap grew wider in third quarter

Heavy rain returns to B.C.'s south coast, including parts of Metro Vancouver

Heavy rain returns to B.C.'s south coast, including parts of Metro Vancouver
Parts of British Columbia's south coast, including Metro Vancouver, are under a rainfall warning, as to 100 millimetres is expected over the next 24 hours.

Heavy rain returns to B.C.'s south coast, including parts of Metro Vancouver

Eby calls reported meeting between Alberta separatists and U.S. officials 'treason'

Eby calls reported meeting between Alberta separatists and U.S. officials 'treason'
A reported meeting between individuals in the Alberta separatist movement and White House officials amounts to "treason," British Columbia Premier David Eby said Thursday in Ottawa.

Eby calls reported meeting between Alberta separatists and U.S. officials 'treason'

Carney, premiers say they're 'united' ahead of upcoming CUSMA review

Carney, premiers say they're 'united' ahead of upcoming CUSMA review
Prime Minister Mark Carney and the premiers said Thursday they're maintaining a united front under the long shadow of the upcoming negotiations for the review of North America's key free trade agreement.

Carney, premiers say they're 'united' ahead of upcoming CUSMA review