Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Council approves next stage of King George Boulevard BRT

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 May, 2026 02:16 PM
  • Council approves next stage of King George Boulevard BRT

On Monday, City Council voted to move Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) on King George Boulevard, one of the region’s busiest north-south corridors, into the full design stage.  

 “As the city grows and our roads become more congested, residents need more rapid transit now,” said Mayor Brenda Locke. “Council’s decision moves us closer to becoming one of the first cities in B.C. to deliver BRT — a fast, reliable, and high-capacity transit system connecting City Centre, Newton and South Surrey.” 

The King George Boulevard BRT will run from Surrey City Centre to Semiahmoo Town Centre along a 19‑kilometre corridor with 12 stations and dedicated bus lanes along most of the route. Public consultation conducted earlier this year by TransLink showed strong community support for the project, with 84 per cent of respondents saying it will improve transportation. 

"As Surrey continues to grow, we need transit solutions now that move more people efficiently and reliably," says TransLink CEO Kevin Quinn. "BRT is the best solution for King George Boulevard because it can be implemented quickly and cost-effectively to manage congestion, strengthen connections between town centres, and support the city's long-term growth." 

TransLink has selected Surrey to host a BRT pilot station near Holland Park and the King George SkyTrain Station. The pilot will test the station design in real-world conditions before broader rollout, including near-level boarding, real-time information, improved lighting, and weather protection, using existing bus service. 

Council’s decision to advance BRT is a major step toward building a more connected city and delivering a cost-effective sustainable transportation system that meets the needs of Surrey’s growing population.  

To learn more about the King George Boulevard BRT project, visit surrey.ca/BRT

MORE National ARTICLES

Hearing into Myles Gray's beating death halted for 4 weeks over obscenity resignation

Hearing into Myles Gray's beating death halted for 4 weeks over obscenity resignation
A long-anticipated hearing into the police-involved death of Myles Gray in 2015 is being adjourned for four weeks, after it was derailed by an obscene remark and the subsequent resignation of counsel for the proceeding in Vancouver.

Hearing into Myles Gray's beating death halted for 4 weeks over obscenity resignation

Carney says Holocaust Remembrance Day a time to remember Canadian complicity

Carney says Holocaust Remembrance Day a time to remember Canadian complicity
Prime Minister Mark Carney says Holocaust Remembrance Day is a moment to remember the consequences of ignorance and hatred.

Carney says Holocaust Remembrance Day a time to remember Canadian complicity

Air travel recovery ramps up after snow blast, but thousands still face cancellations

Air travel recovery ramps up after snow blast, but thousands still face cancellations
Air travel picked back up in earnest today as crews cleared the remnants of a record-breaking snowstorm in Central Canada from the tarmacs.

Air travel recovery ramps up after snow blast, but thousands still face cancellations

Canada sending Coast Guard vessel to Greenland for opening of new consulate: Anand

Canada sending Coast Guard vessel to Greenland for opening of new consulate: Anand
Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand said Canada's "principled pragmatism" in foreign policy will be on full display next week in Greenland when she opens Canada's new consulate in the Danish territory with Inuit representatives attending and a coast guard vessel in the background.

Canada sending Coast Guard vessel to Greenland for opening of new consulate: Anand

'I meant what I said': Carney says he explained his Davos speech to Trump

'I meant what I said': Carney says he explained his Davos speech to Trump
Prime Minister Mark Carney said Tuesday he told U.S. President Donald Trump personally that he meant what he said in his speech at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, last week.

'I meant what I said': Carney says he explained his Davos speech to Trump

Canadian veterans outraged by Trump’s NATO comments: "A great deal of disrespect"

Canadian veterans outraged by Trump’s NATO comments:
A Canadian veteran said U.S. President Donald Trump's recent remarks about the contribution of NATO soldiers in Afghanistan show "a great deal of disrespect" toward those killed while fighting. 

Canadian veterans outraged by Trump’s NATO comments: "A great deal of disrespect"