Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Council approves next stage of King George Boulevard BRT

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 May, 2026 02:16 PM
  • Council approves next stage of King George Boulevard BRT

On Monday, City Council voted to move Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) on King George Boulevard, one of the region’s busiest north-south corridors, into the full design stage.  

 “As the city grows and our roads become more congested, residents need more rapid transit now,” said Mayor Brenda Locke. “Council’s decision moves us closer to becoming one of the first cities in B.C. to deliver BRT — a fast, reliable, and high-capacity transit system connecting City Centre, Newton and South Surrey.” 

The King George Boulevard BRT will run from Surrey City Centre to Semiahmoo Town Centre along a 19‑kilometre corridor with 12 stations and dedicated bus lanes along most of the route. Public consultation conducted earlier this year by TransLink showed strong community support for the project, with 84 per cent of respondents saying it will improve transportation. 

"As Surrey continues to grow, we need transit solutions now that move more people efficiently and reliably," says TransLink CEO Kevin Quinn. "BRT is the best solution for King George Boulevard because it can be implemented quickly and cost-effectively to manage congestion, strengthen connections between town centres, and support the city's long-term growth." 

TransLink has selected Surrey to host a BRT pilot station near Holland Park and the King George SkyTrain Station. The pilot will test the station design in real-world conditions before broader rollout, including near-level boarding, real-time information, improved lighting, and weather protection, using existing bus service. 

Council’s decision to advance BRT is a major step toward building a more connected city and delivering a cost-effective sustainable transportation system that meets the needs of Surrey’s growing population.  

To learn more about the King George Boulevard BRT project, visit surrey.ca/BRT

MORE National ARTICLES

Trump withdraws Carney's invitation to 'Board of Peace'

Trump withdraws Carney's invitation to 'Board of Peace'
U.S. President Donald Trump has rescinded an invitation to Prime Minister Mark Carney to join his new "Board of Peace" — marking the latest upheaval in the relationship between Canada and the United States as a critical trade agreement is set to be reviewed.

Trump withdraws Carney's invitation to 'Board of Peace'

Protecting Canada's sovereignty emerges as key topic at cabinet retreat

Protecting Canada's sovereignty emerges as key topic at cabinet retreat
Prime Minister Mark Carney and his cabinet are in Quebec City for a second day of meetings ahead of Parliament's return on Monday.

Protecting Canada's sovereignty emerges as key topic at cabinet retreat

FBI director confirms arrest of Canadian ex-Olympian and fugitive Ryan Wedding

FBI director confirms arrest of Canadian ex-Olympian and fugitive Ryan Wedding
Former Canadian Olympic snowboarder Ryan Wedding, accused of running an international drug ring, has been arrested in Mexico, the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation confirmed Friday.

FBI director confirms arrest of Canadian ex-Olympian and fugitive Ryan Wedding

Police says man dead in 'targeted' shooting in Burnaby, B.C.

Police says man dead in 'targeted' shooting in Burnaby, B.C.
A man has been killed in Burnaby, B.C., in what police are describing as a targeted shooting.

Police says man dead in 'targeted' shooting in Burnaby, B.C.

Surrey Hospitals Foundation launches Fraser Health region’s first foundation-led Health & Research Network

Surrey Hospitals Foundation launches Fraser Health region’s first foundation-led Health & Research Network
Surrey Hospitals Foundation today announced the launch of the Surrey Hospitals Health and Research Network (SH Network), a foundation-led research funding and coordination platform designed to accelerate health research, innovation, and talent retention across Surrey’s health care facilities.

Surrey Hospitals Foundation launches Fraser Health region’s first foundation-led Health & Research Network

First Nations-owned Vancouver Island wood chip plant set to close in March

First Nations-owned Vancouver Island wood chip plant set to close in March
A wood chip plant on Vancouver Island that's majority-owned by a First Nation in British Columbia and was acquired with help from provincial funding, says it is closing, the latest setback for the province's forestry sector.

First Nations-owned Vancouver Island wood chip plant set to close in March