Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Council approves next stage of King George Boulevard BRT

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 May, 2026 02:16 PM
  • Council approves next stage of King George Boulevard BRT

On Monday, City Council voted to move Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) on King George Boulevard, one of the region’s busiest north-south corridors, into the full design stage.  

 “As the city grows and our roads become more congested, residents need more rapid transit now,” said Mayor Brenda Locke. “Council’s decision moves us closer to becoming one of the first cities in B.C. to deliver BRT — a fast, reliable, and high-capacity transit system connecting City Centre, Newton and South Surrey.” 

The King George Boulevard BRT will run from Surrey City Centre to Semiahmoo Town Centre along a 19‑kilometre corridor with 12 stations and dedicated bus lanes along most of the route. Public consultation conducted earlier this year by TransLink showed strong community support for the project, with 84 per cent of respondents saying it will improve transportation. 

"As Surrey continues to grow, we need transit solutions now that move more people efficiently and reliably," says TransLink CEO Kevin Quinn. "BRT is the best solution for King George Boulevard because it can be implemented quickly and cost-effectively to manage congestion, strengthen connections between town centres, and support the city's long-term growth." 

TransLink has selected Surrey to host a BRT pilot station near Holland Park and the King George SkyTrain Station. The pilot will test the station design in real-world conditions before broader rollout, including near-level boarding, real-time information, improved lighting, and weather protection, using existing bus service. 

Council’s decision to advance BRT is a major step toward building a more connected city and delivering a cost-effective sustainable transportation system that meets the needs of Surrey’s growing population.  

To learn more about the King George Boulevard BRT project, visit surrey.ca/BRT

MORE National ARTICLES

Snowstorm wreaks havoc on air travel plans, as hundreds more flights cancelled

Snowstorm wreaks havoc on air travel plans, as hundreds more flights cancelled
Guilherme Holtz and his family spent 11 hours on a flight from Rio de Janeiro to Toronto and were looking forward to getting home to Quebec City by Saturday morning. 

Snowstorm wreaks havoc on air travel plans, as hundreds more flights cancelled

Carney set to spend much of 2026 travelling the world in search of trade

Carney set to spend much of 2026 travelling the world in search of trade
Mark Carney has been circling the globe on government aircraft since becoming prime minister — part of his efforts to secure new trade links and investment to double non-U.S. exports in the next decade.

Carney set to spend much of 2026 travelling the world in search of trade

Canada's recent dealings with China 'entirely consistent" with CUSMA, Carney says

Canada's recent dealings with China 'entirely consistent
Prime Minister Mark Carney says Ottawa's recent dealings with Beijing are "entirely consistent" with Canada's obligations under its trade agreement with the United States and Mexico. 

Canada's recent dealings with China 'entirely consistent" with CUSMA, Carney says

Vancouver hearing into Myles Gray's death set to resume after obscenity caused delay

Vancouver hearing into Myles Gray's death set to resume after obscenity caused delay
A hearing into the death of Myles Gray, who died in 2015 after a violent altercation with Vancouver police, is set to resume today after it was delayed by an obscene remark that was captured on an audio feed of the proceeding last week.

Vancouver hearing into Myles Gray's death set to resume after obscenity caused delay

Carney announces GST rebate boost to counter high cost of groceries

Carney announces GST rebate boost to counter high cost of groceries
Prime Minister Mark Carney is announcing a 25 per cent hike to the GST credit to help lower-income consumers deal with the high cost of groceries across the country.

Carney announces GST rebate boost to counter high cost of groceries

Carney links Trump's latest tariff threat to negotiations on CUSMA trade pact

Carney links Trump's latest tariff threat to negotiations on CUSMA trade pact
Prime Minister Mark Carney says it's no coincidence U.S. President Donald Trump's latest tariff threat against Canada comes just ahead of negotiations on renewing North America's main free-trade pact.

Carney links Trump's latest tariff threat to negotiations on CUSMA trade pact