Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Council approves next stage of King George Boulevard BRT

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 May, 2026 02:16 PM
  • Council approves next stage of King George Boulevard BRT

On Monday, City Council voted to move Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) on King George Boulevard, one of the region’s busiest north-south corridors, into the full design stage.  

 “As the city grows and our roads become more congested, residents need more rapid transit now,” said Mayor Brenda Locke. “Council’s decision moves us closer to becoming one of the first cities in B.C. to deliver BRT — a fast, reliable, and high-capacity transit system connecting City Centre, Newton and South Surrey.” 

The King George Boulevard BRT will run from Surrey City Centre to Semiahmoo Town Centre along a 19‑kilometre corridor with 12 stations and dedicated bus lanes along most of the route. Public consultation conducted earlier this year by TransLink showed strong community support for the project, with 84 per cent of respondents saying it will improve transportation. 

"As Surrey continues to grow, we need transit solutions now that move more people efficiently and reliably," says TransLink CEO Kevin Quinn. "BRT is the best solution for King George Boulevard because it can be implemented quickly and cost-effectively to manage congestion, strengthen connections between town centres, and support the city's long-term growth." 

TransLink has selected Surrey to host a BRT pilot station near Holland Park and the King George SkyTrain Station. The pilot will test the station design in real-world conditions before broader rollout, including near-level boarding, real-time information, improved lighting, and weather protection, using existing bus service. 

Council’s decision to advance BRT is a major step toward building a more connected city and delivering a cost-effective sustainable transportation system that meets the needs of Surrey’s growing population.  

To learn more about the King George Boulevard BRT project, visit surrey.ca/BRT

MORE National ARTICLES

Surrey expands free Large Item Pickup program for faster service

Surrey expands free Large Item Pickup program for faster service
Surrey residents can start the year with a cleaner home and neighbourhood by taking advantage of the City’s free Large Item Pickup program, now offering quicker service. With more collection trucks in operation, residents can schedule pickups within two to three weeks, making it easier to responsibly dispose of bulky household items like old furniture, appliances, mattresses, and electronics.

Surrey expands free Large Item Pickup program for faster service

Canada to focus foreign aid on building 'mutual prosperity' with trading partners: MP

Canada to focus foreign aid on building 'mutual prosperity' with trading partners: MP
The MP overseeing foreign aid says Ottawa wants to focus its international assistance efforts on countries that can generate economic spinoffs for Canadians.

Canada to focus foreign aid on building 'mutual prosperity' with trading partners: MP

What's a 'thumper'? B.C. RCMP describe devices in an unneighbourly noise dispute

What's a 'thumper'? B.C. RCMP describe devices in an unneighbourly noise dispute
When two RCMP officers responded to a call about screams coming from a Burnaby, B.C., condo in late October last year, they forcibly entered the unit believing someone might be in trouble. 

What's a 'thumper'? B.C. RCMP describe devices in an unneighbourly noise dispute

B.C. forestry review seeks overhaul, moving focus away from harvest volumes

B.C. forestry review seeks overhaul, moving focus away from harvest volumes
A government-commissioned review of forestry in British Columbia is calling for the system to be razed and rebuilt with a focus on trust and transparency about the state of the province's forests, shifting away "from managing harvest volumes to managing lands."

B.C. forestry review seeks overhaul, moving focus away from harvest volumes

Anand in DC as Trump administration makes the case for critical mineral trade zone

Anand in DC as Trump administration makes the case for critical mineral trade zone
Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand was in Washington on Wednesday as the Trump administration made a case for international partners to join a preferential trade zone for critical minerals with forced price floors.

Anand in DC as Trump administration makes the case for critical mineral trade zone

She went missing in Canada in 1985. She may have been a Florida serial murder victim

She went missing in Canada in 1985. She may have been a Florida serial murder victim
It was in January of 1985 when the mixed skeletal remains of two people were discovered in a wooded area of Malabar, Fla., and while one woman was identified through dental records, the identity of the other person remained a mystery for 41 years. 

She went missing in Canada in 1985. She may have been a Florida serial murder victim