Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Council approves next stage of King George Boulevard BRT

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 May, 2026 02:16 PM
  • Council approves next stage of King George Boulevard BRT

On Monday, City Council voted to move Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) on King George Boulevard, one of the region’s busiest north-south corridors, into the full design stage.  

 “As the city grows and our roads become more congested, residents need more rapid transit now,” said Mayor Brenda Locke. “Council’s decision moves us closer to becoming one of the first cities in B.C. to deliver BRT — a fast, reliable, and high-capacity transit system connecting City Centre, Newton and South Surrey.” 

The King George Boulevard BRT will run from Surrey City Centre to Semiahmoo Town Centre along a 19‑kilometre corridor with 12 stations and dedicated bus lanes along most of the route. Public consultation conducted earlier this year by TransLink showed strong community support for the project, with 84 per cent of respondents saying it will improve transportation. 

"As Surrey continues to grow, we need transit solutions now that move more people efficiently and reliably," says TransLink CEO Kevin Quinn. "BRT is the best solution for King George Boulevard because it can be implemented quickly and cost-effectively to manage congestion, strengthen connections between town centres, and support the city's long-term growth." 

TransLink has selected Surrey to host a BRT pilot station near Holland Park and the King George SkyTrain Station. The pilot will test the station design in real-world conditions before broader rollout, including near-level boarding, real-time information, improved lighting, and weather protection, using existing bus service. 

Council’s decision to advance BRT is a major step toward building a more connected city and delivering a cost-effective sustainable transportation system that meets the needs of Surrey’s growing population.  

To learn more about the King George Boulevard BRT project, visit surrey.ca/BRT

MORE National ARTICLES

Tumbler Ridge victim's mom says truck robbed, wounded daughter's paddle board stolen

Tumbler Ridge victim's mom says truck robbed, wounded daughter's paddle board stolen
The mother of 12-year-old Maya Gebala, who has been holding vigil at her bedside since she was gravely wounded in last week's school shooting in Tumbler Ridge, B.C., says her daughter's paddle board has been stolen from her vehicle.

Tumbler Ridge victim's mom says truck robbed, wounded daughter's paddle board stolen

Vancouver flurries did not count as city's first snowfall: meteorologist

Vancouver flurries did not count as city's first snowfall: meteorologist
Snowflakes drifted into parts of Vancouver on Wednesday, but an Environment Canada meteorologist says it was not enough to register as the city's first snowfall of the winter season.

Vancouver flurries did not count as city's first snowfall: meteorologist

B.C. budget 'lands in the middle' between cuts and safeguarding core services: Bailey

B.C. budget 'lands in the middle' between cuts and safeguarding core services: Bailey
British Columbia's finance minister started to sell her "tough" budget Wednesday to business leaders who describe her deficit numbers as "scary," while other groups are tabulating the losses. 

B.C. budget 'lands in the middle' between cuts and safeguarding core services: Bailey

Surrey’s new outdoor rink draws 43,000 visitors and will return next winter

Surrey’s new outdoor rink draws 43,000 visitors and will return next winter
Surrey’s first-ever outdoor skating rink at Civic Plaza transformed City Centre into a lively winter destination this season, attracting more than 43,000 visitors over its 12-week run. Launched as a pilot during the Surrey Tree Lighting Festival, the rink quickly became a popular gathering place that supported the City’s goal of creating a more vibrant entertainment district.

Surrey’s new outdoor rink draws 43,000 visitors and will return next winter

By the numbers as British Columbia releases its 2026 budget

By the numbers as British Columbia releases its 2026 budget
Here are some of the key figures in British Columbia's 2026 budget, delivered by Finance Minister Brenda Bailey on Tuesday.

By the numbers as British Columbia releases its 2026 budget

Canada's new top envoy to Washington takes up his post

Canada's new top envoy to Washington takes up his post
Canada's new top diplomat in Washington presented his credentials to U.S. President Donald Trump Tuesday, officially taking on the role of ambassador to the United States at a turbulent moment in Canada-U.S. relations.

Canada's new top envoy to Washington takes up his post