Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Council approves next stage of King George Boulevard BRT

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 May, 2026 02:16 PM
  • Council approves next stage of King George Boulevard BRT

On Monday, City Council voted to move Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) on King George Boulevard, one of the region’s busiest north-south corridors, into the full design stage.  

 “As the city grows and our roads become more congested, residents need more rapid transit now,” said Mayor Brenda Locke. “Council’s decision moves us closer to becoming one of the first cities in B.C. to deliver BRT — a fast, reliable, and high-capacity transit system connecting City Centre, Newton and South Surrey.” 

The King George Boulevard BRT will run from Surrey City Centre to Semiahmoo Town Centre along a 19‑kilometre corridor with 12 stations and dedicated bus lanes along most of the route. Public consultation conducted earlier this year by TransLink showed strong community support for the project, with 84 per cent of respondents saying it will improve transportation. 

"As Surrey continues to grow, we need transit solutions now that move more people efficiently and reliably," says TransLink CEO Kevin Quinn. "BRT is the best solution for King George Boulevard because it can be implemented quickly and cost-effectively to manage congestion, strengthen connections between town centres, and support the city's long-term growth." 

TransLink has selected Surrey to host a BRT pilot station near Holland Park and the King George SkyTrain Station. The pilot will test the station design in real-world conditions before broader rollout, including near-level boarding, real-time information, improved lighting, and weather protection, using existing bus service. 

Council’s decision to advance BRT is a major step toward building a more connected city and delivering a cost-effective sustainable transportation system that meets the needs of Surrey’s growing population.  

To learn more about the King George Boulevard BRT project, visit surrey.ca/BRT

MORE National ARTICLES

MP Matt Jeneroux leaves Conservatives to join Liberal caucus

MP Matt Jeneroux leaves Conservatives to join Liberal caucus
Alberta MP Matt Jeneroux has crossed the floor from the Conservative party to join the Liberal caucus — and Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre is accusing him of betraying voters in his Edmonton riding.

MP Matt Jeneroux leaves Conservatives to join Liberal caucus

'More pleasant': Canadian Muslims mark first full winter Ramadan in years

'More pleasant': Canadian Muslims mark first full winter Ramadan in years
Canadian Muslims are marking the start of Ramadan on Wednesday, but one thing will be new about the most festive and holiest month in Islam.

'More pleasant': Canadian Muslims mark first full winter Ramadan in years

Prime Minister Carney returning to B.C. one week after mass shooting

Prime Minister Carney returning to B.C. one week after mass shooting
Prime Minister Mark Carney is returning to B.C. today less than a week after he attended a vigil honouring the victims of a mass shooting in Tumbler Ridge, B.C.

Prime Minister Carney returning to B.C. one week after mass shooting

Tough sell for B.C. budget featuring tax hike, record deficit and construction delays

Tough sell for B.C. budget featuring tax hike, record deficit and construction delays
British Columbia's finance minister has started to sell her "tough" budget, but at least one business leader says Brenda Bailey should have made deeper cuts because of the "scary" deficit numbers. 

Tough sell for B.C. budget featuring tax hike, record deficit and construction delays

B.C. budget eyes staffing but finance minister says no big service cuts or tax hikes

B.C. budget eyes staffing but finance minister says no big service cuts or tax hikes
The British Columbia government won't be making big service cuts or raising taxes in the 2026 budget, even as it faces a projected $11.2 billion deficit.

B.C. budget eyes staffing but finance minister says no big service cuts or tax hikes

Janice Charette to be Canada's top trade negotiator during CUSMA review

Janice Charette to be Canada's top trade negotiator during CUSMA review
Canada's former top public servant Janice Charette will serve as the country's chief trade negotiator to the United States during a crucial review of the North American free-trade pact, Prime Minister Mark Carney's office announced on Monday.

Janice Charette to be Canada's top trade negotiator during CUSMA review