Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Council approves next stage of King George Boulevard BRT

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 May, 2026 02:16 PM
  • Council approves next stage of King George Boulevard BRT

On Monday, City Council voted to move Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) on King George Boulevard, one of the region’s busiest north-south corridors, into the full design stage.  

 “As the city grows and our roads become more congested, residents need more rapid transit now,” said Mayor Brenda Locke. “Council’s decision moves us closer to becoming one of the first cities in B.C. to deliver BRT — a fast, reliable, and high-capacity transit system connecting City Centre, Newton and South Surrey.” 

The King George Boulevard BRT will run from Surrey City Centre to Semiahmoo Town Centre along a 19‑kilometre corridor with 12 stations and dedicated bus lanes along most of the route. Public consultation conducted earlier this year by TransLink showed strong community support for the project, with 84 per cent of respondents saying it will improve transportation. 

"As Surrey continues to grow, we need transit solutions now that move more people efficiently and reliably," says TransLink CEO Kevin Quinn. "BRT is the best solution for King George Boulevard because it can be implemented quickly and cost-effectively to manage congestion, strengthen connections between town centres, and support the city's long-term growth." 

TransLink has selected Surrey to host a BRT pilot station near Holland Park and the King George SkyTrain Station. The pilot will test the station design in real-world conditions before broader rollout, including near-level boarding, real-time information, improved lighting, and weather protection, using existing bus service. 

Council’s decision to advance BRT is a major step toward building a more connected city and delivering a cost-effective sustainable transportation system that meets the needs of Surrey’s growing population.  

To learn more about the King George Boulevard BRT project, visit surrey.ca/BRT

MORE National ARTICLES

Carney strategy for defence industry pledges 125,000 jobs, sweeping policy changes

Carney strategy for defence industry pledges 125,000 jobs, sweeping policy changes
The Liberal government is making sweeping changes to the way it approaches supporting the domestic defence industry, as Canada looks to transition away from overreliance on the United States for military gear.

Carney strategy for defence industry pledges 125,000 jobs, sweeping policy changes

Youth charged in shooting that sent 15-year-old to hospital in Nanaimo, B.C.

Youth charged in shooting that sent 15-year-old to hospital in Nanaimo, B.C.
Police on Vancouver Island say a 17-year-old boy has been charged after a shooting last week sent a 15-year-old victim to hospital. 

Youth charged in shooting that sent 15-year-old to hospital in Nanaimo, B.C.

Here's what we know about the Tumbler Ridge mass shooting investigation

Here's what we know about the Tumbler Ridge mass shooting investigation
The investigation into last week's shootings in Tumbler Ridge, B.C., that claimed nine lives has moved into a new phase after police cleared the two crime scenes.

Here's what we know about the Tumbler Ridge mass shooting investigation

Environment Canada warns of snow and cold for parts of B.C.

Environment Canada warns of snow and cold for parts of B.C.
Winter storm and snowfall warnings have been posted for some areas of B.C. and parts of the southern coast could also be in for some snow after weeks of springlike conditions. 

Environment Canada warns of snow and cold for parts of B.C.

Portable classrooms for Tumbler Ridge, B.C., as shooting victim is remembered

Portable classrooms for Tumbler Ridge, B.C., as shooting victim is remembered
The British Columbia government says portable facilities are arriving in Tumbler Ridge, B.C., to allow children to return to school after six people were killed at the community's high school last week. 

Portable classrooms for Tumbler Ridge, B.C., as shooting victim is remembered

Canada's provinces contend with fresh shocks ahead of 2026 budget season

Canada's provinces contend with fresh shocks ahead of 2026 budget season
The outlook for Canada's provinces is difficult to chart but some surprising resilience to U.S. trade pressures and historical revisions to economic data have most provinces on better footing heading into the 2026 budget season, argues a new analysis from Desjardins.

Canada's provinces contend with fresh shocks ahead of 2026 budget season