Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

COVID-19 cases rise for the 5th week, deaths stable

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 14 Jul, 2022 03:04 PM
  • COVID-19 cases rise for the 5th week, deaths stable

GENEVA (AP) — The number of new coronavirus cases reported worldwide rose for the fifth week in a row while the number of deaths remained relatively stable, the World Health Organization reported Thursday.

In the U.N. health agency’s weekly review of the COVID-19 pandemic, WHO said there were 5.7 million new infections confirmed last week, marking a 6% increase. There were 9.800 deaths, roughly similar to the previous week’s figure.

Earlier this week, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the pandemic still qualifies as a global emergency and he was “concerned” about the recent spike.

“The virus is running freely, and countries are not effectively managing the disease burden,” he said during a Tuesday press briefing. “New waves of the virus demonstrate again that COVID-19 is nowhere near over.”

In the last two weeks, cases of COVID-19 reported to WHO surged 30%, driven largely by the hugely infectious omicron relatives, BA.4 and BA.5. The two omicron subvariants have shown a worrisome ability to re-infect people previously vaccinated or who have recovered from COVID.

According to WHO, the biggest increases in COVID-19 cases were seen in the Western Pacific and the Middle East, where they jumped by more than a quarter. Deaths spiked by 78% in the Middle East and by 23% in Southeast Asia, while dropping elsewhere or remaining stable.

WHO said that relaxed COVID-19 surveillance and testing programs in numerous countries have complicated efforts to track the virus and to catch any potentially dangerous new variants.

In the U.S. , the new omicron variants have pushed up hospitalizations and deaths in recent weeks, prompting some cities and states to rethink their approaches. White House COVID-19 coordinator Dr. Ashish Jha, during a Wednesday TV appearance, called for booster shots and renewed vigilance against the virus.

The White House response team has also urged all adults 50 and older to urgently get a booster if they haven’t yet this year — and dissuaded people from waiting for the next generation of shots expected in the fall.

MORE National ARTICLES

Coquitlam stabbing victim identified

Coquitlam stabbing victim identified
To further the investigation, the victim has been identified as 66-year-old Terry Miller of Coquitlam. There was a second victim, also stabbed, but is recovering. 

Coquitlam stabbing victim identified

B.C. cabinet in line for 'pay raise': Opposition

B.C. cabinet in line for 'pay raise': Opposition
Horgan's annual salary is about $211,000 a year, while cabinet ministers are paid about $167,000, but the 10 per cent that is withheld is only on the portion of their incomes that relate to their cabinet positions.

B.C. cabinet in line for 'pay raise': Opposition

Canfor to sell B.C. tenure, assets for $70M

Canfor to sell B.C. tenure, assets for $70M
The Vancouver-based company says the sale of its rights to manage the forest and harvest timber to the McLeod Lake Indian Band and Tsay Keh Dene Nation is subject to approval from the provincial government.

Canfor to sell B.C. tenure, assets for $70M

Girl found safe, to be returned to mother

Girl found safe, to be returned to mother
Last month, police issued a Canada-wide warrant for the arrest of Michael Gordon Jackson and charged him with abduction in contravention of a custody or parenting order.

Girl found safe, to be returned to mother

597 COVID19 cases for Thursday in BC

597 COVID19 cases for Thursday in BC
There are 612 individuals hospitalized with COVID-19 and 102 are in intensive care. In the past 24 hours, nine new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,840.

597 COVID19 cases for Thursday in BC

B.C. heeds devastating climate message: minister

B.C. heeds devastating climate message: minister
British Columbia's environment minister says the province can't afford to wait any longer to confront climate change after last year's devastating fires, floods, slides and heat waves. George Heyman says last year delivered the message that the time to address climate change is now.

B.C. heeds devastating climate message: minister