Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Emergency alert test comes as B.C. mops up from 'bomb cyclone' with high winds

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 Nov, 2024 03:36 PM
  • Emergency alert test comes as B.C. mops up from 'bomb cyclone' with high winds

A test for Canada's emergency alert system took place Wednesday just as British Columbia was cleaning up from a so-called "bomb cyclone" weather system that cut power and battered parts of the coast with hurricane-force winds.

The national alert system is typically tested twice a year, with the latest alarm sounding in B.C. at 1:55 p.m. Pacific time, in addition to other provinces.

The test involves an alert tone and message broadcast to radio, television and compatible mobile devices.

While the message says, "this is ONLY a TEST," it came as nearly 75,000 homes and businesses were still without power, mostly on Vancouver Island, and as weather warnings remained in effect for parts of B.C.'s south coast. 

A statement from the Ministry of Emergency Management says the government recognized that many parts of the province were still under wind and other weather warnings, but it's important to ensure its systems are tested regularly.

It says the testing schedule is established by Pelmorex Corp., a weather information company, in consultation with provinces and territories. 

"These regular tests help make sure that people in B.C. are aware and know what to expect in the event of an actual emergency alert, and provide an opportunity to address any issues with the system before there’s a real emergency," it says.

Winds exceeded 100 km/h in multiple areas along B.C.'s coast late Tuesday, with gusts recorded on the remote Sartine Island off the northern tip of Vancouver Island at up to 170 km/h, equivalent to a Category 2 hurricane.

Wind warnings from Environment Canada remain active for western Vancouver Island, where gusts of up to 110 km/h were expected to ease later Wednesday. 

Stretches of several highways on Vancouver Island were closed because of downed power lines, fallen trees and debris, while BC Ferries cancelled several sailings on its major routes Wednesday due to safety concerns stemming from high winds.

MORE National ARTICLES

Gaza evacuees in Canada will need mental-health, housing supports: refugee council

Gaza evacuees in Canada will need mental-health, housing supports: refugee council
The slow trickle of people allowed through the highly controlled Rafah border crossing out of Gaza has so far included 107 peopleon Canada's list of anticipated evacuees, and they are only allowed to remain in Egypt for 72 hours. The list includes Canadian citizens and permanent residents, as well as eligible family members who don't have immigration status in Canada.

Gaza evacuees in Canada will need mental-health, housing supports: refugee council

Gaza bombardment overnight hits close to hospital

Gaza bombardment overnight hits close to hospital
The general director of Gaza City's main hospital says scores of wounded people are being treated at the Al-Shifa Hospital following overnight Israeli strikes and shelling. 

Gaza bombardment overnight hits close to hospital

Eby says deputy leader fired by BC Greens made 'reprehensible' attack on Bonnie Henry

Eby says deputy leader fired by BC Greens made 'reprehensible' attack on Bonnie Henry
Premier David Eby says social media behaviour that got the BC Green Party's deputy leader fired represents a "reprehensible" attack on provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry.  Dr. Sanjiv Gandhi has also resigned as a Green candidate in the 2024 provincial election after liking a social media post that compared Henry to Josef Mengele, an infamous Nazi doctor who experimented on concentration camp victims during the Second World War.

Eby says deputy leader fired by BC Greens made 'reprehensible' attack on Bonnie Henry

32 more Canadians have left Gaza Strip for Egypt, Global Affairs Canada says

32 more Canadians have left Gaza Strip for Egypt, Global Affairs Canada says
Global Affairs Canada says 32 more Canadians were able to leave the Gaza Strip for Egypt on Thursday after a key border crossing reopened. The department says there had originally been 40 Canadian names on the list of people approved to leave through the border crossing at Rafah, but precisely what changed wasn't immediately clear.  

32 more Canadians have left Gaza Strip for Egypt, Global Affairs Canada says

Ontario to ban Canadian work experience requirement in job postings

Ontario to ban Canadian work experience requirement in job postings
Ontario plans to ban employers from requiring Canadian work experience in job postings or application forms, the labour minister announced Thursday, saying it will be an important step to help newcomers get their foot in the door. Ontario would be the first province to dismantle that barrier in the hiring process, Labour Minister David Piccini said.

Ontario to ban Canadian work experience requirement in job postings

11 people sent to hospital in school bus crash in Burnaby

11 people sent to hospital in school bus crash in Burnaby
Eleven people have been sent to hospital after a school bus crashed into a home in Burnaby, B.C. BC Emergency Health Services says in a statement that all 11 patients are in stable condition. Police have asked drivers to avoid a busy stretch of Canada Way.  

11 people sent to hospital in school bus crash in Burnaby