Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Emergency alert test comes as B.C. mops up from 'bomb cyclone' with high winds

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 Nov, 2024 03:36 PM
  • Emergency alert test comes as B.C. mops up from 'bomb cyclone' with high winds

A test for Canada's emergency alert system took place Wednesday just as British Columbia was cleaning up from a so-called "bomb cyclone" weather system that cut power and battered parts of the coast with hurricane-force winds.

The national alert system is typically tested twice a year, with the latest alarm sounding in B.C. at 1:55 p.m. Pacific time, in addition to other provinces.

The test involves an alert tone and message broadcast to radio, television and compatible mobile devices.

While the message says, "this is ONLY a TEST," it came as nearly 75,000 homes and businesses were still without power, mostly on Vancouver Island, and as weather warnings remained in effect for parts of B.C.'s south coast. 

A statement from the Ministry of Emergency Management says the government recognized that many parts of the province were still under wind and other weather warnings, but it's important to ensure its systems are tested regularly.

It says the testing schedule is established by Pelmorex Corp., a weather information company, in consultation with provinces and territories. 

"These regular tests help make sure that people in B.C. are aware and know what to expect in the event of an actual emergency alert, and provide an opportunity to address any issues with the system before there’s a real emergency," it says.

Winds exceeded 100 km/h in multiple areas along B.C.'s coast late Tuesday, with gusts recorded on the remote Sartine Island off the northern tip of Vancouver Island at up to 170 km/h, equivalent to a Category 2 hurricane.

Wind warnings from Environment Canada remain active for western Vancouver Island, where gusts of up to 110 km/h were expected to ease later Wednesday. 

Stretches of several highways on Vancouver Island were closed because of downed power lines, fallen trees and debris, while BC Ferries cancelled several sailings on its major routes Wednesday due to safety concerns stemming from high winds.

MORE National ARTICLES

Legislation to reduce housing starts delays

Legislation to reduce housing starts delays
Housing Minister Ravi Kahlon says new legislation introduced today will reduce housing construction delays, delivering more homes for residents sooner.  He says that if Bill 44 is passed, local governments would need to shift their planning process to an "upfront framework." 

Legislation to reduce housing starts delays

Judge tells Ibrahim Ali jury to disregard testimony of Crown witness who died

Judge tells Ibrahim Ali jury to disregard testimony of Crown witness who died
Dr. Tracy Pickett, a specialist in emergency and clinical forensic medicine who was called as an expert witness by the Crown, had not finished testifying in B.C. Supreme Court when she was found dead on Sept. 28. She had testified about injuries suffered by the 13-year-old girl Ali is accused of killing.  

Judge tells Ibrahim Ali jury to disregard testimony of Crown witness who died

Judge says man who hit and killed two fellow UBC students should serve 3 years

Judge says man who hit and killed two fellow UBC students should serve 3 years
Provincial court Judge Glenn Lee told the court in Richmond, B.C., that Tim Goerner will still be young when his sentence is done and he can then spread a message to people about the dangers of drinking and driving. The court heard he had been drinking at a party before the high-speed crash that killed Emily Selwood and Evan Smith as they walked down a sidewalk on the university campus in the early morning hours of Sept. 26, 2021.

Judge says man who hit and killed two fellow UBC students should serve 3 years

Sex offender Randall Hopley removed his ankle bracelet to avoid court date: police

Sex offender Randall Hopley removed his ankle bracelet to avoid court date: police
Hopley, 58, is wanted on a Canada-wide warrant and has a history of convictions for assault, property offences and sexual crimes that include three offences against children. He was declared a long-term offender and handed a six-year prison term for the 2011 abduction of a three-year-old boy from his home in Sparwood in southeastern British Columbia.  

Sex offender Randall Hopley removed his ankle bracelet to avoid court date: police

Feds unlock public properties to build homes, say 29,200 units to be built by 2029

Feds unlock public properties to build homes, say 29,200 units to be built by 2029
The latest announcement, which also comes as Liberals face a major dip in the polls, puts the government on track to build about 29,200 homes on public lands by 2029. Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos also said on Tuesday the Canada Lands Corp. is setting a new target to include at least 20 per cent affordable housing across its projects.  

Feds unlock public properties to build homes, say 29,200 units to be built by 2029

Group of 20-25 Canadians reaches Egypt, up to 80 could leave Gaza Tuesday: Ottawa

Group of 20-25 Canadians reaches Egypt, up to 80 could leave Gaza Tuesday: Ottawa
A first group of 20-25 Canadians looking to flee Gaza was able to leave on Tuesday, Global Affairs Canada has confirmed, as the government works to evacuate the rest of its citizens from the besieged Palestinian enclave.  Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly had confirmed earlier in the day that some Canadians had successfully departed. 

Group of 20-25 Canadians reaches Egypt, up to 80 could leave Gaza Tuesday: Ottawa